Facebook now lets users tag fake news stories

midian182

Staff member

One of several new methods Facebook is introducing to fight fake news quietly arrived on the platform recently. First spotted by Gizmodo, the flagging system that marks false items as “disputed” is now available to US users.

Fake news items have been a growing problem for Facebook and last year resulted in CEO Mark Zuckerberg defending the social media site against accusations they influenced the election. In December, the company said it would stop the spread of bogus stories by allowing users to report them. Any that get marked enough times are vetted by a group of third-party fact-checking organizations, such as Snopes and Politifact. If they are determined to be factually incorrect, a “disputed” label will appear at the bottom of the post, along with links to the fact-checking sites explaining why it’s inaccurate.

Gizmodo's example shows a story by “The Seattle Tribune,” which claims the recent White House leaks came from Trump’s unsecured Android device.

Facebook may be trying to fight fake news, but many say the reporting system doesn’t go far enough. The marked items aren’t removed from the site; instead, the company hopes the disputed classification will make people less willing to share them. The use of the word of “disputed” is slightly contentious, too, as this suggests an article could be true rather than the 100 percent bullsh*t it actually is.

Another problem with the system is that two fact-checking organizations must agree an item is bogus before the label is applied. Sometimes, as was the case with the Tribune article, it can take several days before a news story is classified as disputed, even when it’s obviously untrue.

All fact-checkers participating in the program must sign up to a code of principles created by journalism non-profit Poynter, which, as Gizmodo notes, has come under attack from some conservatives over its connections to liberal donor George Soros.

It remains to be seen how effective the dispute label proves, but right now it seems that nobody is particularly impressed by it.

Permalink to story.

I really like the concept of "fact checking" by Snopes. I haven't read Politifact, but if they're as good as Snopes, they better be right wing for balance.

Facebook: We're going to combat fake news.

User: How?

Facebook: We're going to have fake fact checkers dispute content.

User: But...

Facebook: Snopes and Politifact are reliable.

User: ...but they were fact checked and found to be unreliable.

Facebook: Snopes says that's fake news. So does Politifact.

These people are living parodies.

SNOPES is establishment media, ran by a LADY with Cats that used to live in an apartment and now lives in a house. She receives MONIES from entities such as Rockefeller Foundations, and other corporations. Snopes is a joke = Fake News at times.

Just sayin'

I really like the concept of "fact checking" by Snopes. I haven't read Politifact, but if they're as good as Snopes, they better be right wing for balance.
Snopes? I don't trust Snopes because they are known to be left wingers who have no problem reporting alternative facts.
SO TRUE.... Ran by a Lady that lives in a house with cats - she started it when she was not married, in an apartment filled with cats... She has since married and lives in a house. Which really, is irrelevant, but makes it fun to talk about; The weird Cat-Lady! LOL! Takes money from establishment sources such as the Rockefeller foundation, etc.

Facebook: We're going to combat fake news.

User: How?

Facebook: We're going to have fake fact checkers dispute content.

User: But...

Facebook: Snopes and Politifact are reliable.

User: ...but they were fact checked and found to be unreliable.

Facebook: Snopes says that's fake news. So does Politifact.

These people are living parodies.

News: Trump is a terrible person and keeps doing and saying dumb things

User: Get him out of the white house!

Trump: Ignore the news, they lie.

User: Oh ok. Ignore the news!

News: Trump is ignoring the constitution!

User: lies! :fingers in ears: la-la-la-la-la-la

sound about right? Last time I checked, both Snopes and Politifact give explanations for their findings and explain WHY it's true/not true. With very little work, you can use those notes to research and find your own opinions. Ignoring them completely because "they lie" is the worst choice you can make.

Great...so now the armies of lefty trolls will have the new task of flagging any pro-Trump or conservative outlets, while passing all the BS the MSM sites spew. Then all those falsely flagged will be 'fact-checked' by two biased & corrupt fact-checking operations who failed being fact-checked and are widely known to lie.

Facebook is already acknowledged to be like Twitter in their bias against conservatives and truthful news...and now they're turning themselves into the online version of book burners.

sound about right? Last time I checked, both Snopes and Politifact give explanations for their findings and explain WHY it's true/not true. With very little work, you can use those notes to research and find your own opinions. Ignoring them completely because "they lie" is the worst choice you can make.

I actually read the policies and pull the data these people reference. The only reason I would have to visit a "fact checker" is to make a point of their use as propaganda distributors, which is unnecessary. So many people on the left come out of the woodworks to defend them as "necessary" entities when you question them that their function needn't even be stated.

Zuckerberg, as happens to to people who obtain overnight wealth, use of the obscene wealth creates human zombies with hallucinations and imaginary magical power.
The reality, the concept, the current Facebook program has become similar to a rabid, out of control, ferocious dog, so keep on 'clicking' people, which adds more food to keep increasing the and loud bark of the dog.
Thankfully, many sensible people do not indulge in Farcebook stupidity.

Go Rob, they never get tired.. "the FB choice of evaluation sux!"
my astonishment at the (response) sentiment cannot be measured..

Last edited:
Back