Facebook Virus made my IE & MSN stop working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. Have some IT knowledge - except when it comes to these sort of things. I stupidly clicked on the message thats going around on facebook "is this you" and got the virus. I think I have managed to clear it with AVG as it warned me straight away there was a threat detected. It kept coming back for a while but after several scans and deleting from virus vault it seems to have gone. But now IE wont connect to any website and MSN also wont connect because of this. My internet connection is obviously still working however as I can still download my e-mails through Outlook?

Can anyone help? I have tried everything!

Please refer to the preliminary malware removal thread stickied at the top of this forum. Post back when you are done with your logs as attachments.

No problems. Your first step in posting in the "Security and the Web" Forum was in the right direction.
There are 4 "stickies" - threads which are permanently placed at the top of the forum - for users to read before they do anything.

One of them is related to malware removal, as it is a common problem online. It reads "UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions". You'll find it to be a great advantage to yourself if you can follow that thread first and then we'll help you thereafter. =)

I think AVG did remove the offending virus, but there's corruption left behind.

My first suggestion is to try using an alternate web browser such as Mozilla Firefox (click here if you want to download it) If it works, then you have web access again.

Next, I would uninstall Internet Explorer and MSN Messenger and re-install them. If there's corruption in these programs, it's the only way to fix them.

If the above don't work, repost and we"ll try something else.

Best,
-- Andy

Would just like to add, often times, an infection doesn't really go away with a simple scan. That's the reason for us requesting logs to ensure the infection is really gone. Afterall, malware lurking in the system can wreak some potential havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back