'Failed to connect to a Windows service' problem?

When I start up my laptop it takes a while for it to completely load up after it starts up and then a message appears saying:
Failed to connect to a windows service
Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging onto the system.
As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond.

I have tried the things in this thread - h t t p : / / w w w . t e c h s p o t . c o m / v b / t o p i c 9 7 8 1 3 . h t m l - but nothing works, I tried the thing Markiepoos said to do about 4 times and it still didn't work. (I have to put spaces between the link because it won't let me use links until I have posted 5 on this website)

Also a small window pops up in the middle of my screen saying:

btdna.exe
WSAStartup() failed, or you have the incorrect version of WinSock installed.

Also, I try to use 'Windows Help and Support' but it won't work. And I can't go to the URL the error message gave to me since my wireless isn't working on my laptop, the internet works on other laptops and computers and consoles though so that is fine, it is something to do with my laptop and these error messages.

Is there anything that I can do other than what is said on that other thread because they don't work.

Thanks.

Have you had bittorrent on your computer at all, the reason I ask is that the file btdna.exe gets left behind you you uninstall bitorrent

How to remove btdna.exe
http://www.ehow.com/i/#article_5154272

If did not have bittorrent on your computer then could be a virus.

It sounds like a virus has damaged your winsock you need to download winsock fix from here.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml
But first scan your system to make sure the virus is gone.

Same problem

I am receiving the same message. The power went out in my house and when I turned the computer back on it gave me the "Failed to connect to a Windows Service" message. I cannot connect to the internet. Now my Norton is saying to fix the "Email In" and "Email Out" but it cannot connect to the internet to fix it.

Once you have downloaded the winsock fix to your desktop click on the regbackup to backup your registry then when you have done that click on the fix button that should fix your Internet settings.

Make sure your router is working first check to see if all the lights are on and all the cables are connected.

Ok. The problem is that I don't have an internet connection becuase of this problem so I don't see how I can download it.

Do you think I can download it from another computer to a USB drive?

EDIT
I downloaded it to a USB. I will try it at home and let you know if it works.

I did what you said with windsock but my computer still is giving me these problems. Hopefully it's fixable.

Can you go into administrative tools and computer management and click on services look down the list on the right handside look for DHCP and DNS right click on each of them an set them to automatic then close them all and reboot.

What router do you have and did it come with software.

You could try and have a look at them to see if the settings have not got messed up

Also check your Internet settings and check that your firewall is not blocking the connection.

The main router says Webstell. I have wireless internet. When i bought this computer they installed a router inside my computer. Its a netgear. All the other computers in the house are able to connect to the internet without a problem. I can even connect to the internet through my ipod touch.

It didn't work. This is what it says: Initialization Function InitHelperDll in NSHHTTP.FLL failed to start with error code 10107. The requested operation requires elevation.

Back