Failing Hard Drive

Hello Everyone,

I have a HP m9000 desktop running Windows Vista, that we use for our small companies files. Upon booting up displays a message that hard drive failure is imminent and I need to back it up and replace its asap. After this message Windows tries to load and fails. The system then goes into Windows system restore and recovery mode and is unable to solve the problem. I turned the computer off and uninstalled the hard drive and realized that someone has messed with the hard drive before and messed up the SATA connections on the back and the plastic guiding tab was broken off. One of the SATA pins was bent and I did my best to delicately straighten it. I was able to find the plastic tab in the SATA cable and was able to reseat the cable.
I then installed the failing hard drive onto another desktop as the slave drive. The backup desktop is running Windows XP and I was going to try and back up the failing hard drive onto a portable one. After getting everything installed my computer executed chkdsk upon start up and has been running for the past hour.

My questions are as follows:
Roughly how long does chkdsk take and will chkdsk run on both the connected drives?
What problems will I most likely incur after chkdsk has finished?
Will I be able to back up the failed hard drive with it configured as a slave drive?
What other option do I have available to recover files and back up the failing hard drive?

Hard drive is failing, you're running chkdsk, and have no backup of it yet? Dude, you're brave.

'Clone' the failing HDD, ASAP.

Yeah I didn't intentionally run chkdsk. I was trying to put the failing drive into a spare computer that way I could try and see if I could recover any data off the drive. Well I had two drives on the spare computer that both had Windows XP on them. One I used regularly and the other was just what came with the computer when I bought it off ebay. I plugged in the wrong drive and upon start up it started running chkdsk. I didn't know if it would run the chkdsk for both drives or just the drive that was running XP.

After chkdsk ran I shutdown the computer and decided to use a DVD boot copy EASEUSCopy to see if I could clone the failing drive. The new hard drive won't boot and now I am going to send the other drive off to donerdrive and see if they will be able to restore the hard drive.

Back