Fallout 4 breaks GTA5 record for most concurrent Steam users, less than a day after release

midian182

Staff member

Fallout 4 is proving to be popular, very popular. Within the first 24 hours of the game’s launch, it broke several Steam records and at one point became the platform’s top title in terms of current players. The 444,825 concurrent Fallout 4 users smashed the previous non-Valve game record set by Grand Theft Auto 5, which reached a peak of 360,000 players in April.

GTA5 had taken the concurrent players record from Bethesda’s other famous open-world RPG, Skyrim, which attained about 280,000 users in 2011. Additionally, whereas Fallout 4 reached this number in less than a day, it took three days for GTA5 to take the record from Skyrim.

As previously mentioned, this Steam record only applies to games not published by Valve, which manages the platform. Dota 2 holds the actual title after more than 1 million people were recorded playing the MOBA at the same time. Both Dota 2 and Valve’s other popular game, Counter Strike:GS, did at one point reach more concurrent players than Fallout 4 yesterday.

Comparing Bethesda’s game against another recent big budget release, Call of Duty: Black Ops III, shows the huge difference in player numbers. Traditionally a series that has proved very popular - despite its critics - COD: Black Ops III has managed to reach an all-time peak player record of 63,681 in the five days since its release; Fallout 4’s concurrent record, so far, is more than seven times this.

If these numbers are anything to go by then it looks as if Fallout 4 is set to become the biggest game of the year. It may face a challenge from the equally enjoyable Star Wars: Battlefront when it’s released next week, particularly as it’s being boosted by the hype surrounding the new movie, but after playing both Fallout 4 and the Battlefront Beta for many hours I would be pretty surprised if Star Wars ends up as the more popular game.

Permalink to story.

I'm not sure why in the article they anticipate comparing the success of this game against SW: Battlefront, when surely the game that's most appropriate to compare it to this year is The Witcher 3?

Large, open-world, lots of side-quests, your choices affect the outcome, story driven, crafting systems, armour customisation, ... etc.

Really, comparing it to GTA is moot at best, GTA:V on PC took way too long to be released, by then most people had played it and the hype was gone. VS a game that launches across all platforms concurrently and has been incredibly hyped.

Really, comparing it to GTA is moot at best, GTA:V on PC took way too long to be released, by then most people had played it and the hype was gone. VS a game that launches across all platforms concurrently and has been incredibly hyped.
I never really noticed any hype dying down. If anything I'd say it was maintained due to the quality of the game for what we saw up to that point. And to their credit, taking more time is fine. They made a very nice looking game with a lot of content that runs great; it could've been the mess that was IV all over again on PC. Fallout appears to be a mess on the consoles,and it's nothing impressive aside from content on PC.

And I'd bet GTAV has a higher peak player count still. It doesn't require steam after all like Fallout does.

This game generated a lot of hype. It's almost as if Half-Life 3 was released and in my opinion it didn't live up to it's hype at all. Bad optimization across the board for both consoles and PC, graphics from 2007 and boring world with nothing but junk everywhere.

Back