Fallout: New Vegas will use Steam for DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A few weeks back Bethesda and Obsidian started taking questions for the next Fallout title. A staff member on Bethesda's forum posted answers to a dozen of those questions yesterday, revealing that Fallout: New Vegas will rely on Steam for DRM. After looking at other options, the developers decided that Steam is the "best, least intrusive experience for PC gamers." The use of Valve's platform is great news, considering the recent string of less-than-cherished always-connected mechanisms from folks like Ubisoft.

Offering his take on Steam, senior producer Jason Bergman said the platform is tightly integrated with New Vegas. Steamworks is implemented in "as light and unobtrusive away possible," and it will be mandatory to play the upcoming Fallout. That said, you can install the game on as many systems as you want, and besides the initial activation, an Internet connection isn't required.

Tight Steam integration also means that New Vegas will rely on the platform for friends lists, storing user preferences in the cloud, achievements and so on. Additionally, you can activate and download the retail boxed versions of the game via Steam, meaning won't have to lay hands on the DVD if that's the way you want to go.

Fallout: New Vegas is due in the third quarter and made our list of 2010's most anticipated PC games. It's a stand-alone installation in the series that follows three years after the events of Fallout 3 and although it shares a similar gameplay experience to the previous entry, there are no reoccurring characters.

Permalink to story.

Works for me. Even though I've pre-ordered the DVD version of Fallout: New Vegas, I will have zero problems running it through Steam for DRM as I do many games right now.

The Steam model really is the DRM of the future for all PC games methinks....

Probably won't be buying this, but I'm glad that their being smart. Hope to see other game developers realize that Steam offers DRM free protection *cough* Ubisoft! And that people are completely okay using it.

It may be better then some of the other DRM out there, but I still do not want to be forced to use a 3rd party to play a game I buy. Bring back the serial number at install.

Steam's DRM is actually a lot less intrusive than some of the others. I lost my DSL link for about 48 hours, and was still able to run games that I'd bought via Steam during that time.

I can maybe even understand a DRM scheme which verifies the game on startup (e.g. Mass Effect 2), but one which will quit a single-player game if you suffer a router hiccup or connection failure at any time? The latest Splinter Cell had been on my "check it out" list until I learned about that...

Guest said:
Steam's DRM is actually a lot less intrusive than some of the others. I lost my DSL link for about 48 hours, and was still able to run games that I'd bought via Steam during that time.

You're totally right. The offline mode is fantastic. When the internet went down I started playing some Steam games and had no problems.

While I'll admit I had issues with a title or two, overall I'm very pleased with the 30 odd games I've picked up since I joined Steam. Their sales are really amazing,and I've picked up a ton of titles probably for a quarter of the regular price (which was already pretty cheap to begin with).

Now I just have to decide whether I want this game on PS3 or PC.. I guess I'll get it on whichever platform offers a sale first :p

Edit: Funny, as soon as I left this site I went to Steam's site and they have a big banner advertising New Vegas and they also have a huge sale on Fallout 3 GOTY, Oblivion, and Morrowind.

A bit disappointed they had to go with DRM, but at least Steam is one of the better ones available. Still it does have negative side-effects no matter how friendly it may appear. And personally anything that isn't from Valve irritates me a bit when they choose Steam's DRM. I guess it's better then GFWL in the end though.

WTF I was really looking forward to this game. Now I won't be buying it.

Anyone that has the attitude that "Steam is fine by me" is just pissing their consumer rights away. I won't be buying this one. You should never, ever give a company that much control over your purchased goods, period.

This sucks. There still are some gamers who don't have internet connection. Yeah, that's true and I know one. He is a fanatic Fallout series fan but now he is not going to buy NV as he couldn't play it. Forcing people to have internet connection for single player games is worse than some computer based DRM.

Another FINO* game that I won't be buying. At least it saves my money.

* Fallout In Name Only

I don't understand why Bethesda feels the need to force Steam on people buying New Vegas through retail. Yes, the platform has its positives (unlimited downloads of the game, achievements, etc) but the online activation still is a more restrictive DRM form than what they had on Fallout 3 (simple disc check), which seemed to sell really well. I don't understand why they can't offer the Steam download for anyone who wants to go the digital distribution route while still keeping the simple disc check in the retail version like they did previously.

Hell, if you didn't want to deal with the disc check in the retail version of Fallout 3, you could bypass it by running the Fallout3.exe executable directly and get a completely DRM-free experience (instead of the FalloutLauncher.exe executable that all the shortcuts point to). The fact that Bethesda used a very scaled back DRM scheme played a big reason on why I chose to get Fallout 3. Now, with the forced online activation for New Vegas, I'm not so excited to pick this up anymore.

Too bad, I was definitely looking forward to getting the game before hearing this news. Oh well, guess now I'll be skipping this and spending 50 bucks less come October.

This news really dissapoints me.I have every Fallout game and bought 2 copies of Fallout 3(Collectors Edition and a copy I use for installing}.My games machine has never been online as I choose not to play multiplayer gaming. I do not understand why activation cannot be similar to Windows XP,Vista or Windows 7 which I have all bought and have activated XP and Windows 7 by a simple phone call.Have been buying and playing PC Games since Win 95 and even before that,on consoles(Atari,Megadrive,Nies,C64 and a few others).The Gaming Industry has had quite lot of my hard earned cash and I feel let down by this constant severe and sometimes ludicrous DRM..Perhaps its time for all Gamers know matter what platform the choose to use to say enough is enough..I won't be buying this title and I won't be pushed or bullied into putting software on my computer that I have know use for.(Namely Steam)..From a very old Gamer(Loyalty can not be bought,it has to be earned)..

I have not had Steam on my PC since my last upgrade - I don't use it, things like digital downloads are not viable with my 3GB a month cap on a shitty 384 kb/s line. Being forced to install a 3rd part app simply to use the game I legally purchased is not acceptable. That's one lost sale Bethsoft!

It amazes me that so many are happy to embrace more and more restrictions on their rights as consumers...tying your games to a 3rd party just seems like a foolish idea, unless everyone believes that big business are ultimately philanthropists who 'care about you'. What if their data centres are compromised or DOS'd? What if they go out of business? What if they change their 'benign' access policy in the future so every game insists that you connect at start-up to authorize? etc etc. The whole online authorization thing is not really acceptable- not everyone has access to the internet - yes, even in this day and age - but at least other activation system allow you to phone in. Yes, Ubisoft's system is incredibly dumb,and I have not bought any of their games since they introduced it, but this is still unacceptably intrusive and forces me to install a system I do not want to play a game NOT purchased from Steam.

Steam is like the rapist who uses condoms and lube and pats you on the head afterwards. You still just got assraped.

DRM is the reason I pirate games.

Yep, was really excited about this one.... but I'm one of those gamers who chooses to keep his machine offline, so looks like no NV for me. Same reason I never bought Empire: Total War, even though I had every other game in that series.

I can't imagine DRM does much to actually stop pirating. What it certainly *does* do is alienate people like me who try to do things the right way, by making what should be a simple transaction into a needlessly complex, 3rd-party interaction. I've never pirated anything in my life, but the way the industry keeps putting up roadblocks for lawful users makes me want to reconsider.

I've already had problems and I am NOT happy! I just waited in line for an hour to get my copy. I get home and try to install it and STEAM says I cannot because it is not released yet!!!! WTF!!! What a waste of my time. Now I will be up all night waiting for STEAM to deem me worthy. heh

i agree with the last post, don't they take into consideration the different time zones in the US??

if i would have known i could not get it home and play it, hell install it i would have waited till tomorrow

I am sitting here wishing the folks at steam would die in a fire. Stop penalizing your paying customers or forever lose your right to ***** about piracy. I pre-ordered my copy, received my copy at a legitimate retail store shortly after midnight, and now find I'm SOL because some stupid *** hat forgot to set the clock right. Do it right, or don't bother. Once I am done with New Vegas I will be un-installing Steam, YET AGAIN. I will pay closer attention next time. I will NEVER pay for a game that requires Steam again. I will continue to play said games, let's be clear. I will pay hackers to crack the Steam requirements before they ever see any more money from me. I'm done with you. I've been a PC gamer for nearly 20 years. I hate to see the switch to consoles, but I can't take it out on the consumers for wanting things to work as advertised. Put the disk in, play the game, be happy. Here's to wishing I had ordered the Xbox 360 version...

Yeah this is bullish*t. I cannot activate either. I'm exchanging my copy tomorrow for the Xbox version, and I'm keeping the version on my pc. LOL

I just got back from the store after buying NV. Read the back before I ripped the plastic off. THANK GOODNESS. I did not have a clue this game required STEAM to register. It is going straight back to the store and I guess I will not be playing NV. Shame.

Steam is like the rapist who uses condoms and lube and pats you on the head afterwards. You still just got assraped.

DRM is the reason I pirate games.

Wow - why are people so up in arms over verifying that they obtained the license legally? I'll tell you what - for companies like Bethesda that consistently produce quality games, I have no problem whatsoever going through an extra step to verify I legally have the right to play them. I don't believe that we are required to pay an additional royalty fee for launching the game, so what is all this nonsense about pissing away our consumer rights?

Whether you agree with it or not, piracy is a big deal and if there are no countermeasures against it, companies will have absolutely no incentive to produce quality entertainment.

You aren't pirating games because of DRM, you are pirating games because you don't feel you should have to compensate the developer. Everyone should just develop things for free, right? Years worth of time and millions of investment dollars isn't worth 60 bucks and a server check in once in a while?

I guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back