FBI raids homes of Anonymous hackers in New York

By Emil
Jul 19, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. The FBI today executed search warrants for computers and computer-related accessories by raiding the homes of three hackers from the infamous hacktivist group Anonymous in New York. More than 10…

Read the whole story
  2. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 888   +89

Hey, Techspot, if you get anymore information from Fox you lose all your credibility. Citing Fox "News" is like citing Wikipedia in your thesis. It'd be interesting to see how this pans out, the article doesn't really say anything other than someone was arrested from anon.
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,333   +381

Uh, it's not just FOX reporting this - it's on every major news source.

"The hackers are said to be in their late teens and early 20s." Boy, that's a real shocker.

Hope this leads to more arrests. These morons believe they are judge, jury and executioner for whomever their little minds see fit.
  4. yRaz

Then there is absolutely NO reason they should cite Fox News. Even if wiki has the same information as a paper encyclopedia, you don't cite Wiki. Makes you wonder, is that where techspot gets their news?
  5. TomSEA

(shrugs) It's a news source. I don't understand the angst against TechSpot. Everyone knows that FOX has a conservative leaning, and MSNBC has a liberal leaning when it comes to political stories. But for vanilla stories like this, it doesn't matter one wit where the source is quoted from.
  6. yRaz

So is the the only difference between the two? I'm sure there is an unbiased news source that says the same thing as well. Fox news is owned my Rupert Murdoch, you paying attention what is going on in the "News?" Only reason Fox gets away with saying what it does is that it is considered an opinion show rather than news. Hence the slogan, "We report, you decide."
  7. TomSEA

Jeezus yRaz...relax, man. You're going to give yourself a coronary.
  8. wcbert

wcbert Newcomer, in training Posts: 71

Glad to see the FBI taking down the bad guys! :)
  9. And what the heck is wrong with Wikipedia ? Sure, it's not Phd thesis material, but some people are ungrateful beyond belief. Yes, articles do get taken down once in a while, but in the meantime you've got the world at your fingertips. Or perhaps you'd rather look up stuff in a 20 volume printed encyclopedia ? I know I wouldn't, so speak for yourself.
  10. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +90

Just... just... drop it...
  11. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,073   +75

yRaz, if your liberal bias is going to force you to denounce Techspot because of one little story, then don't let the door hit you in the *** on the way out. I'll do my best not to lose any sleep.

12. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Jeez, someone hack your voice mail or something? =)
  13. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,050   +699

yRaz is what you'd call a 'wild-eyed liberal' (we've argued before), one of those people who will politicize everything and make up their mind on whether or not to believe a story based on where it comes from instead of actually reading it and thinking it over.

According to the story on CNET, 14 people were arrested ( http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20080746-245/fbi-arrest-14-in-anonymous-hacking-investigation/ ).

As for the Hydra you may beleive they're fightning... you could say the same thing about drug cartels. With the huge difference of these hackers don't make tons of money. I bet if enough of them find the FBI storming through their doors plenty of others will think twice about it.
  14. Mizzou

Mizzou TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 930

There's also a good possibility that information could be obtained from the seized computer to help develop new leads for other suspects, at least I hope so.
  15. treetops

treetops TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,661   +57

=I hope this doesn't start a war with anom vs the us government, both the us government and anom could be using there resources for better causes.
  16. TrekExpert

TrekExpert TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 104

I wouldn't call it a liberal bias. Even the most conservative of my friends agree that fox has a strong conservative bias and they don't trust what they see on it without checking another source first. Personally I check many news sources before making an opinion and it is very likely that Techspot does the same so I don't necessarily see a problem with citing it.
  17. foreverzero89

foreverzero89 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 246

Faux (and every other mainstream media organization) are only propaganda machines now. I never believe anything they tell me unless its confirmed by an independent source. Alex Jones for example.
  18. I think yRaz just want his news source to come from Jon Stewart and The View because that where he feels comfortable to get the facts. So listen up TechSpot editors! =)
  19. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 186

"The hackers are said to be in their late teens and early 20s"
    LOL everyone was right when they called them a bunch of teenage losers living with their parents xD
  20. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,588   +864

So basically what you're saying is, "hacktivist", could turn out to mean, "he who picks up the soap".....
  21. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

Seriously yRaz, what's going on? I hate Fox News as much as the next guy, but come on. Even if they report this, it's still news. If it wasn't for the cite, you wouldn't have even known it was FN since it didn't put it's strong willed blabbering opinion in there. It was just a simple "FBI raids home of Anon members." This is news no matter where it comes from.

You need to pay attention to your quote "We report, you decide."

"We report": they give you the news
    "you decide": they give you their opinions, then ask for yours...god forbid yours goes against theirs, though :p

As far as the story is concerned, the government can't really be happy about this. They've got only a few people out of a group made up of who knows how many people. I just wonder how Anon goes about recruiting people...
  22. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,819   +651

Which it turn leads to...
    You ain't kidding!
  23. superty12

superty12 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 432

And so it begins...
    Finally.
  24. Butch

Butch TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 112

Hopefully they will take most of these guys down. I think a couple of years in a federal prison will do them good...
  25. yorro

yorro TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 245

They thought if they quit the FBI would leave them alone.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.