Fedora Core 5 linux & windows XP dual boot

By Tru_Snoop
Aug 21, 2006
  1. Hey guys;

I have installed Windows XP and Fedora Core 5 linux as dual boot. I use both of them and they both work fine. However, I have given Linux too much disk space, like 15GB, which I believe is way too much, besides I need some extra space for my windows xp. I have tried Partition magic but it can't work with "ext3" partitions. I tried to uninstall Fodora, but when I did, windows xp won't load because it was using the BootLoader by Fedora (which was removed). So I had to install fedora again on 15GB partition. I want to keep Fedora but with less disk space (or partition). How to deal with this problem?

Is there a way to resize "ext3" partition? or Is there a way to uninstall fedora and make my windows XP load up? How to deal with it?

thank you.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

You probably have an ancient version of Partition Magic. Try something newer.
  3. j4m32

j4m32 TS Rookie Posts: 49

well you can make it boot Windows but you wont ba able to boot into Linux unless you have an OS Boot Floppy for your Distro :D

overwrite the MBR and boot into Windows, get your nearest copy of Windows ME / Windows ME Bootable Floppy Disk. you might be able to get one from

Restart your PC with the Windows ME boot floppy in.

Then the Menu comes up with:

1. Help
    2. Boot with CD-Rom Support
    3. Boot without CD-Rom Support
    4. Minimal Boot

we want to 'Minimal Boot', so select it and wait while it loads.

Let it load till you get:

type "fdisk /mbr"
    once it's done, remove the floppy and restart the machine.
    i know you may be thinking wtf. but it works trust me...

and then use Partion Magic in Windows XP .

4. Franco

Franco TS Rookie

This exact same thing happened to me about a year ago.

I used the exact same remedy too, to get rid of the problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.