TechSpot

Finding a link to a post based on old BB code [post=nnnn][/post]?

By LookinAround
Jun 11, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Is there a method to convert an old BB code post # to a link?

2. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,568   +334

Was that even possible before?

3. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 8,373   +167

See example below from a post written Dec, 2010
    The BB code in "old" TechSpot supported syntax. In above example, It generated a hyperlink link to the thread "How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot" (and I now want to know that hyperlink)

"New" TechSpot doesn't support BB code . Is there currently a way to translate the old BB code post # to a URL to the post it represents?

p.s. That old BB code syntax is still "sprinkled" through many of my old posts. That's what I get for trying to make my old BB code text "succinct" :cool: :)

4. bobcat

bobcat TechSpot Paladin Posts: 688   +67

5. Julio Franco

Pointing to a particular post does work, LookinAround is talking about a specific bbcode that made linking to posts easier by using a unique ID. Xenforo doesn't have that functionality, I will "look around" for a modification that provides the same functionality. :)

6. bobcat

OK, I got the two functions mixed up because I had noticed that pointing to a particular post doesn't work now, at least not with my Opera. Are you sure it works?

7. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 8,373   +167

Thanks Julio. It's a "nice to have" but certainly not a priority. To all of you at TechSpot: Thanks for all the good work! (y)

8. Julio Franco

9. bobcat

Thanks, I got it now, I’ve worked out what you’ve done. It’s different from before, but once you know how to do it, it’s easy.

My (off topic) question has been answered, I just hope other members know how to do it too.

10. Julio Franco

And it's working now :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.