Finding Good Mobo for Dell Dimension 3000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,

I need help finding a mobo that will fit into my Dell. I have a Dell Dimension 3000 with the standard mobo (E210882) installed. I want to be able to play the latest games (Example: Elder Scrolls Oblivion).

Specs are:

Windows XP Professional (Build 2600)
Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with 1Gig of RAM
Power supply - 250W (just bought a 600W)
I just installed ATI Radeon HD 2400 PCI graphics card (256MB)... I was desperate
Phoenix ROM BIOS plus Version 1.10 A02

I know my PSU is low so I bought a 600W PSU and will install that when I get it. As we all know this mobo I have only comes with PCI slots. The HD 2400 was the best I could find at the time.

I am looking for a mobo that carries PCI-E, PCI-E x16. And I know I will need a new graphics card also, but I think I can handle that one. I just need help finding the right motherboard.

Can anyone help me with this? If you need any more info let me know. Price range for mobo can be between $50 - 150.

Thanks in advance!

If you merely want a replacement, then the Dell Optiplex 170L or 170XL board will fit and work, and is cheaper because nobody knows about it.

With other boards, you have case problems, space problems, power supply problems...

There are not many boards that will fit the same spots with the same connectors.
But if you are willing to upgrade the power supply, the heatsink and fan, and change the memory, you are on your way.
One problem is that the CPU heatsink and fan will not transfer over easily... The Dell 3000 board heatsink frame is cheap plastic and will easily break if dimensions change.
Changing to a non-Dell board will mean that your Dell recovery disc set will not work, Windows will not install, and your current hard drive will be shut down by Windows XP when it detects the hardware change.

The bottom line is that unless you just upgrade the board, it is cheaper and better to get a computer case to go with it, and start over. A new case will be cheaper than upgrading the Dell Case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back