TechSpot

First AMD Zacate APU benchmark results emerge

By Jos
Nov 16, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Last week, AMD offered a peek at the first Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) designed for sub-$500 ultraportable, netbook and nettop systems. The chips in question are part of the upcoming Brazos platform which itself comprises two APU categories: "Ontario" is the codename for the low-voltage (9W or less) parts that will rival Intel's Atom, while "Zacate" uses up 18W of power and should target Intel’s range of CULV processors.

Read the whole story

2. cardriverx

cardriverx TS Rookie Posts: 84

Gotta admit, I am sorta dissapointed. At least the GPU did well.

3. bakape

bakape TS Enthusiast Posts: 123

Disappointed? I'm impressed! Don't expect it to out preform the core i* series. But the main point here - consuming less power than an Intel at idle, while encoding a video - is quite amazing.

4. cardriverx

cardriverx TS Rookie Posts: 84

Yeah I guess you make a point. I think I am just expecting too much. One day I will be able to have my 14 inch tablet pc w/ digitizer that can run half life well and get 8 hrs of battery life doing it on a high res screen. And being under 3 lbs. lol

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

I too had too high expectations. I really hoped that AMD could advance the netbook more, but from the look of it the 9W part will be pretty much Atom performance in terms of CPU power. But you know what, there's a chance it will run Half Life 2 fine (I'm pretty sure even the Atom can run the original Half Life, though I won't bet any money on it).

6. DokkRokken

DokkRokken TS Rookie Posts: 275

Those power figures are amazing. I can see people being disappointed by the lack of sheer performance, but we're talking chips that place efficiency first. Most people shopping for the laptops that these chips will be going into will be placing a priority on battery life, and not gaming,

7. vangrat

vangrat TS Rookie Posts: 223

What's wrong with placing a priority on gaming AND battery life. Is it too much to ask for a tablet that can run crysis at 1080p on a 10 inch screen for 2 days without charge! Well...is it!?

Okay maybe it is, but dammit I want my super tablet.

8. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,909   +716

Correction...outperforming Arrandale Core i3. By the time Zacate hits the market it will be duelling it out with Sandy Bridge Core i7-2610LM/-2630UM (17 watts, 2 core/12EU graphics).

To paraphrase Winston Wolf: "Well, let's not start sucking each other's popsicles quite yet".

9. TeamworkGuy2

TeamworkGuy2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 195

I read some of the linked articles at the bottom of this article and for the power envelope the AMD E-350 is quite an interesting beast. CPU and GPU rolled into one, with GPU performance "better" in some ways, than CPU performance. It is a smart move to incorporate such a powerful GPU, since people like their movies, HD youtube videos, games, etc...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.