First footage of Battlefield 3 and Elder Scrolls V released

Matthew DeCarlo

This is shaping up to be one of the better years for PC gaming with around two dozen highly anticipated titles poised for release in the next 10 months. BioWare released a playable demo of Dragon Age II yesterday, a demo of Crysis 2 is due next Tuesday, and Bulletstorm hit retail shelves just this week (watch for our upcoming performance preview). Getting in on the action, DICE and Bethesda have released the first glimpses of their forthcoming titles, Battlefield 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

Battlefield 3 - Due Q4 2011

DICE only recently announced its latest Battlefield title, which is being developed with the company's new Frostbite 2.0 engine and is focused foremost on the PC platform. The game is said to feature co-op gameplay, four classes, more unlockables than Battlefield: Bad Company 2, character customization that doesn't rely on superficial cosmetics, as well as improved level destruction, character animations, and war sounds. The PC version supports 64-person multiplayer while the console is limited to 24.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Due November 11, 2011

Skyrim take places 200 years after the events of the last installment, Oblivion -- though it isn't a direct sequel. Instead, the latest entry opens a new chapter in the Elder Scrolls series as players once again control an unknown prisoner who fulfills the prophetic role of the last "Dovahkiin," a dragon hunter tasked with defeating the god of destruction, Alduin. Naturally, the game will have fancier visuals including a HUD-less first-person view, revamped combat and leveling systems, and much more.

Permalink to story.

Skyrim looks fantastic on my 24" monitor. Just waiting on Bulldozer and Ivy Bridge for my new build later this year.

I can see myself putting in 1K hrs. on BF3 over the course of a year. Skyrim should be amazing and hopefully a worthy successor to Oblivion.

I hope ESV doesn't use the same engine as oblivion and fallout. after 5 years, it's time to change...

I hope ESV doesn't use the same engine as oblivion and fallout. after 5 years, it's time to change...

I believe Bethesda has said that the engine will be a new one. And that the scaling will be more like Fallout 3 as opposed to Oblivion's scaling which was one of the biggest complaints by gamers. I do believe Bethesda has listened.

Oh wow... BF3 looks simply amazing. Just hope the product we get looks every bit as good as that trailer.

So I guess I have till November to upgrade. I'm playing Oblivion with a bunch of visual mods installed, looks really awesome, but the performance hit is huge. I can only imagine what Skyrim will do.

They both look amazing and I can't wait to play them come fall/winter. The music in Skyrim from Jeremy Soule is also incredible.

Regarding the engine, Ruben & Rongxin are correct. According to Bethesda, "It's brand new... and it's spectacular!" which makes me want to touch it ;) .

Back