Flashing a Radeon RX 5700 to 5700 XT: Free 10% Performance Boost

Julio Franco

Staff member
Just for the lol 'zz
I dropped my power target on my vega 64 to -33 and the same settings on forza 4
wall power 400 watts fps 106 average

Not a difference you will notice in games and it could brick your GPU, I'd pass.
The manually overclocked 5700's and 5700XT's are hitting 80c with 80% fan speed and great coolers, they get very hot and only net 3-10% in gains.
Not a great GPU for overclocking.

Also, lots of folks experiencing dips and stuttering with these cards, here's a tidbit directly from AMD: https://community.amd.com/thread/241158, another reply to it on Sept 28th. Several recent and newer threads on various forums as well, so newer drivers haven't quelled many problems.
You get what you pay for with AMD.
If doing a gaming build, go Intel/Nvidia.
Smoother performance, better performance, superior driver quality, less issues, more features, and more polish.

Last edited:
Wow! I remember trying to upgrade my videocard in a similar way in the days of ATI Radeon X800 Pro :)

Not a difference you will notice in games and it could brick your GPU, I'd pass.
The manually overclocked 5700's and 5700XT's are hitting 80c with 80% fan speed and great coolers, they get very hot and only net 3-10% in gains.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1883-overclocking-radeon-rx-5700/

"This remains a decent 18% overclock and given the 5700 XT was only 9% slower on average than the RTX 2080 (non Super), this overclock should push the 5700 XT ahead. "

Can you provide a link to a article testing a decent crop of games with an manual OC 5700 XT with a good cooler? From what I see, there is a lack of articles testing the average gains. A few games aren't indicative of the whole.

Also, lots of folks experiencing dips and stuttering with these cards, here's a tidbit directly from AMD: https://community.amd.com/thread/241158, another reply to it on Sept 28th. Several recent and newer threads on various forums as well, so newer drivers haven't quelled many problems.
Smoother performance, better performance, superior driver quality, less issues, more features, and more polish.

Hey look everyone, I can find forum links with people having stuttering problems:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc.../rtx-2080-stuttering-in-almost-all-games-wtf/

According to amstech, every Nvidia card must now be trash. You get what you pay for....

Stop spreading your FUD please. If you have real evidence to backup your claim that many AMD Navi GPUs are having that issue then provide them. I can find forum posts that interject that the earth is flat. It should be clear that one off accounts from random people on the internet are not trustworthy. You don't see TechSpot jumping on the first reddit post "my 5700 XT exploded!" with "5700 XTs may explode!", do you? The people who made those posts never intended them to be taken as fact either, they come to the forums for help to find the issue. Most people on the internet know this. I have to either assume you are knowingly spreading misinformation or that you are ignorant of this. Pick one.

Last edited:
I have to either assume you are knowingly spreading misinformation or that you are ignorant of this. Pick one.
How ya been Eve?
Ready for Halloween?
I haven't used my Sub-Zero costume in a few years, might have to bust it out.
And yeah the 5700 runs hot when overclocked and skips, has more driver issues by far then Nvidia, same old AMD... its common knowledge available anywhere, but what else is new huh buddy? :D
Meh, probably me just full of crap right?
Just me hating on AMD again, that's gotta be it.
Amstech hates AMD.

Those links and countless threads, its all horse poop, no substance or truth to it at all, your probably right, just another forum post anyone can find anywhere... or its most likely the users and not the hardware/software. Right? AMD's GPU's are fine, people will always tell you with their wallets what they trust.
Lets look at those Steam GPU results again to see how many folks use those C R A P AMD GPU's. Ouch, I wouldn't look if I were you.

Want to know why the GPU results are so one sided? From bargain, to middle, to high end GPU's? Maybe its because one is a complete piece of sh!t compared to the other, perhaps, and I am 100% correct on AMD GPU's and their issues.
Just a thought.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cf111o/fixes_propably_a_lot_of_issues_with_rx_5700_rx/
Countless folks have returned them:

Countless folks have stuttering/freezing issues:

and one from our very own Mr. Walton, although think he is just playing around with BIOS settings.

I have to either assume you are knowingly spreading misinformation or that you are ignorant of this. Pick one.
I picked.
One of these days when you release your blind retarded fanboy blinders from AMD, you will see the truth, and realize, its not me who is biased. Everything I have ever said on this site and any forum is always backed by SH!T TONS of substance and truth. I researched all of this extensively before even making my first post.. how many times are you going to allow me to make you look like a fool? Add another to the books, I really don't enjoy this.
Even I admit with Intel/Nvidia get whooped, or make a mistake. I may be a fanboy but I don't let it interfere with the truth, you must stay neutral if you wish to truly learn and grow my friend. I got nothing but love you Eve, and the folks who run this site.
Now...I just need someone to help me make a Pumpkinhead costume so I can scare the bejesus out of my wife ( I just got married last Saturday! ).

Last edited:
The manually overclocked 5700's and 5700XT's are hitting 80c with 80% fan speed and great coolers, they get very hot and only net 3-10% in gains. Not a great GPU for overclocking. Also, lots of folks experiencing dips and stuttering with these cards, here's a tidbit directly from AMD: https://community.amd.com/thread/241158, another reply to it on Sept 28th. Several recent and newer threads on various forums as well, so newer drivers haven't quelled many problems. You get what you pay for with AMD.
You need to read more reviews because you seem like you only looked at 1-2 models. Some of the 5700XT have bad coolers while others are better.

The cheapo Sapphire Pulse version of the 5700XT that only costs $10 more than reference models maxes out at 75'C in gaming load, and maxes out at 76'C when overclocked. The noise level is also a rather quiet 35 dBA (comparable to GTX1060s, 1070s, and 2080s with good cooling).
Link: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse/32.html

If doing a gaming build, go Intel/Nvidia. Smoother performance, better performance, superior driver quality, less issues, more features, and more polish.
Nvidia, maybe. But Intel? Have you been living under a rock since 2017 and missed the latest Zen 2 launch?

Nvidia, maybe. But Intel? Have you been living under a rock since 2017 and missed the latest Zen 2 launch?
Is that the one where the 9700K is 10-15% faster then the 3700X in gaming at the $350 price point?
Or the one where the 9900K is 1-5% faster then the 3900X in gaming while being $50 less?
Oh wait due to low supplies, the 3900X is now $700-$800. Well there goes that comparison, lol.

Is that the one where the 9700K is 10-15% faster then the 3700X in gaming at the $350 price point?
Or the one where the 9900K is 1-5% faster then the 3900X in gaming while being $50 less?

It's the one where the 3600 at the $200 pricepoint beats the current Intel lineup hands down.

It's the one where the 3700X provides good competition at the $350 pricepoint by getting ~95% fps of the 9700K in the majority of games, and beats the 9700K if you're running game streaming programs or do anything else with your computer besides only playing games.

The 3900X has 50% more cores and beats the 9900k if you're streaming while gaming. Who buys a 9900k or 3900X only to do nothing but play games, without running streaming programs or any other programs in the background? Who buys these 16-24 thread cpu if they have no intention of doing any multi-core work or run programs simultaneous with gaming?

Oh wait due to low supplies, the 3900X is now $700-$800. Well there goes that comparison, lol.

Funny. I spent 5 seconds googling the 3900X and found that there are plenty in stock at Amazon for $565 with free shipping. Did you even bother to check before making that claim?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SXMZLP9/?tag=httpwwwtechsp-20

There goes your earlier claim that "Everything I have ever said on this site and any forum is always backed by SH!T TONS of substance and truth."

Clearly not.

It's the one where the 3600 at the $200 pricepoint beats the current Intel lineup hands down.

I am a huge fan of the AMD 3600.
Best bang for the buck CPU in a long time, love this chip.

There goes your earlier claim that "Everything I have ever said on this site and any forum is always backed by SH!T TONS of substance and truth."

Clearly not.
Puulease, your embarrassing yourself, just stop.

Puulease, your embarrassing yourself, just stop.

Don't you mean stop embarrassing you? You claimed the 3900X were all out of stock and going for $700-$800.

I easily found plenty of 3900X in stock for $565 on Amazon within 5 seconds.

It's clear that despite your earlier claim, not everything you say here is backed by "sh1t tons of substance and truth."

The manually overclocked 5700's and 5700XT's are hitting 80c with 80% fan speed and great coolers, they get very hot and only net 3-10% in gains. Not a great GPU for overclocking. Also, lots of folks experiencing dips and stuttering with these cards, here's a tidbit directly from AMD: https://community.amd.com/thread/241158, another reply to it on Sept 28th. Several recent and newer threads on various forums as well, so newer drivers haven't quelled many problems. You get what you pay for with AMD.
You need to read more reviews because you seem like you only looked at 1-2 models. Some of the 5700XT have bad coolers while others are better.

The cheapo Sapphire Pulse version of the 5700XT that only costs $10 more than reference models maxes out at 75'C in gaming load, and maxes out at 76'C when overclocked. The noise level is also a rather quiet 35 dBA (comparable to GTX1060s, 1070s, and 2080s with good cooling).
Link: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/sapphire-radeon-rx-5700-xt-pulse/32.html

If doing a gaming build, go Intel/Nvidia. Smoother performance, better performance, superior driver quality, less issues, more features, and more polish.

He knows all of that. Same guy that always make clueless points and feigns ignorance. Even if you update his thinking, next week he is back to playing dumb and favoring nvidia, for whatever reasons. For that alone you can tell he is not a gamer, and just another viral mouthpiece from a sweatshop... always spending other fictional people's money with abandoned. And making up a facetious reason for their superiority.

I usually buy both and the sh!ttier one get stuffed in my second box, but Nvidia's g-force experience is a joke and maintaining both systems, AMD has their stuff together.

If you gamed, you would know why this "Dr Su" is so well liked, she knows what Gamers want...

, but Nvidia's g-force experience is a joke..
I have a GTX 1080 pushing a Z4D33AA at 1440p/144Hz, Gsync has been one of the absolute best upgrades I have ever experienced... it makes even the toughest games look silk smooth on high to ultra settings... amazing technology, I can't go back to a normal LCD now.

Funny how no quality reviewer has said don't buy any amd card because of stuttering. So odd? If you look at a trouble shooting forum for any product, what do you expect to see? Something other then problems? No point in wasting time reading anything else you try to say after that.

Anyways, I managed to get my WATER cooled $330 5700 beyond the STOCK 5700 xt and to the stock 2070 super with MPT. The bios option would be pretty handy if there was no risk. What are the default wattman global oc watt limits, core boost and ram on a 5700 xt bios?

I'm at 2050 core boost, 960 ram, Max power 55% benching and 2035ish core boost 960 ram, 50% max power gaming. (WATER COOLED)

You can save your setting in MorePowerTools if you like, but you have to resave it everytime you update your driver. For anyone who doesn't want to flash the bios.I flashed my 970 about 10 times without bricking it towards the end of my time with it, still worked just fine when I sold it.

https://www.igorslab.media/morepowe...x-5700-xt-tweaking-and-overclocking-software/

Last edited:
Wow! I remember trying to upgrade my videocard in a similar way in the days of ATI Radeon X800 Pro :)

LOl I remember reference blower 6850 to a 6850 red devil .. a lot hotter and louder , but worthwhile.
I prefer when you can unlock extra shaders or memroy also.
BTW this is stealing ! from AMD and Lisa Su! who are you ? the Joker? (lol)

How ya been Eve?
Ready for Halloween?
I haven't used my Sub-Zero costume in a few years, might have to bust it out.
And yeah the 5700 runs hot when overclocked and skips, has more driver issues by far then Nvidia, same old AMD... its common knowledge available anywhere, but what else is new huh buddy? :D
Meh, probably me just full of crap right?
Just me hating on AMD again, that's gotta be it.
Amstech hates AMD.

Those links and countless threads, its all horse poop, no substance or truth to it at all, your probably right, just another forum post anyone can find anywhere... or its most likely the users and not the hardware/software. Right? AMD's GPU's are fine, people will always tell you with their wallets what they trust.
Lets look at those Steam GPU results again to see how many folks use those C R A P AMD GPU's. Ouch, I wouldn't look if I were you.

"countless threads", eh? So countless it doesn't even make a news story on a single tech site? Hmm..

Want to know why the GPU results are so one sided? From bargain, to middle, to high end GPU's? Maybe its because one is a complete piece of sh!t compared to the other, perhaps, and I am 100% correct on AMD GPU's and their issues.
Just a thought.

Is that why TechSpot recommends AMD GPUs for 3 of the 5 price categories? https://www.techspot.com/bestof/graphics-cards/

It's not like Techspot is an outlier either, Navi was well received across the board. It's your word vs all the major review outlets.

For being 100% correct, you were awfully easy to disprove. Those who speak in absolutes are those most frequently proven wrong.

There are no references on that page that have anything to do with GPUs being returned. You literally cherry picked a day 1 release fix page to somehow correlate release day bugs to return rates. Not only does it have zero correlation to the topic, those problems are fixed. I must say, those minor bugs are vastly preferable to the bricked space invader cards NVIDIA sent customers. And look, I have links from sites where professionals do reviews and articles:

Mind you this issue happens across Nvidia's entire range of cards and you can still find reddit and Nvidia forums posts about it to this day.

Countless folks have stuttering/freezing issues:

and one from our very own Mr. Walton, although think he is just playing around with BIOS settings.

1. Did you watch that first video? The card was used with a cx430 and molex to pci converters to power the card. Enough said. There's a reason it has more downvotes then upvotes. Just like last time, you just throw random links into your comments with titles that support your assumptions but when I actually watch the videos (which you clearly do not) it's a big nothing burger

2. You linked a 2 hour steam of a guy troubleshooting his 5700 XT with the caption "countless folks have stuttering/freezing issues". How exactly is one person "countless"? How exactly does "one" transition to "countless"? By that logic, these following links prove that there are "countless" issues with Nvidia cards:

3. The third video you linked is a review for the XFX RX 5700 XT. The only thing in that video that could be considered an issue is a card specific fan stop issue, which is pretty minor. I shouldn't have to tell a "tech enthusiast" that this minor issue only occurs on this card and not all RX 5700 XTs but you linked the video anyways. Also, it might be wise to include a little context with your links. Like what part of the video specifically addresses your point (but then again you would have to watch the videos to do that lol).

One of these days when you release your blind retarded fanboy blinders from AMD, you will see the truth, and realize, its not me who is biased. Everything I have ever said on this site and any forum is always backed by SH!T TONS of substance and truth. I researched all of this extensively before even making my first post.. how many times are you going to allow me to make you look like a fool? Add another to the books, I really don't enjoy this.
Even I admit with Intel/Nvidia get whooped, or make a mistake. I may be a fanboy but I don't let it interfere with the truth, you must stay neutral if you wish to truly learn and grow my friend. I got nothing but love you Eve, and the folks who run this site.
Now...I just need someone to help me make a Pumpkinhead costume so I can scare the bejesus out of my wife ( I just got married last Saturday! ).

You spend the first paragraph calling me names and saying how you are always right and the second talking about keeping an open mind. Oh the irony. Yes your evidence is so concrete it consistents of your opinion and mere hearsay.

I pity anyone who purchased a 2080ti or a 2080 for the sake of a tiny % performance boost they spent over a grand.
They behaved like its the last time a graphics card will be sold and now they set the price bar so high what happens next ? Prices wont come down for the fastest card they will only increase thanks to their stupidity unless AMD comes and saves them....The interceptor is laughing his *** of.

"Oh the irony. Yes your evidence is so concrete it consistents of your opinion and mere hearsay.
Lol.
That evidence and data is inarguable, and there is ALOT MORE, I just linked a few of them, you just sound offended trying to explain it all, please, just stop. For every Nvidia GPU issue, there is 3 Radeon issues, been like this for about 10 years or so.
A couple vids of Nvidia cards having issues does nothing to combat anything I've posted, FAR MORE folks have issues with Radeon cards and the 5700 issues are well known.
u/charedj said:
The 5700xt is suffering from a huge number of issues for a large number of buyers, and I'm finding nothing from AMD about sorting this out. It may be localized to the Sapphire 5700xt, but I'm unsure at this point.

AMD is the underdog, and has been the underdog for a reason.
It's inferior hardware. Inferior software, going on 10 + years.
However, not everyone is experiencing issues with the 5700.
It's AMD. Its common knowledge anywhere. Its second rate. It's bang for the buck. It's not as good as Nvidia. I am not even surprised at this point about all the 5700 issues, another year, same results, who cares.
The steam results are what they are, hopefully your not as offended by them, lol.

"countless threads", eh? So countless it doesn't even make a news story on a single tech site? Hmm..
There are several, one from PCGameHaven, babeltechreviews.com, and TechRadar,
about temps and crashing, and a few others. Feel free to look into them and try to play them off like the other things I've posted, ignorance is easy to dispute.

Last edited:
Lol.
That evidence and data is inarguable, and there is ALOT MORE, I just linked a few of them, you just sound offended trying to explain it all, please, just stop. For every Nvidia GPU issue, there is 3 Radeon issues, been like this for about 10 years or so.
A couple vids of Nvidia cards having issues does nothing to combat anything I've posted, FAR MORE folks have issues with Radeon cards and the 5700 issues are well known.

It's AMD. Its common knowledge anywhere. Its second rate. It's bang for the buck. It's not as good as Nvidia. I am not even surprised at this point about all the 5700 issues, another year, same results, who cares.
The steam results are what they are, hopefully your not as offended by them, lol.

about temps and crashing, and a few others. Feel free to look into them and try to play them off like the other things I've posted, ignorance is easy to dispute.
This is the only response you deserve.

You heard it here first folks.
Millions of people are wrong, and a few AMD fanboys on Techspot are right... Steam results have Nvidia with complete domination because Radeons are just as good, and with the same amount of issues!
:lol: Hahahaha!

Hey, their the underdog for a reason.
The Steam results are what they are for a reason.

I'm not afraid to admit GTX/RTX cards do have their share of issues too, no doubt.
The number is miniscule compared to Radeon issues, and acting like they are equal is just ignorant denial. On average Nvidia hardware/software has been, is now, and will continue to be much more stable/superior. Until that changes, the Steam results won't change either.
But I guess you guys know more then millions of people who purchased their card, and why Nvidia has 80-90% of the GPU market on lockdown. It must be because GTX/RTX cards have as many issues as Radeons and millions of customers are wrong.
Good lord, now I am starting to feel bad.

Last edited:
Lol.

User posts on forums and reddit are inarguable? :joy:

Heck half your forum posts and videos weren't even on point on, you couldn't be bothered to watch them (see my last post for details). I guess it shouldn't be surprising that you think forum posts are inarguable.

Also, new day, new nvidia bugfixes for a another bad driver

Nvidia has more then a handful of these bad drivers every year that cause issues. I didn't have to go cherry picking for launch day bugs to find this one.

Back