TechSpot

Flashing cursor but boots when XP disc in CD drive

By Bugarit
Nov 15, 2009
  1. I am having issues with an old Compaq machine that refuses to boot correctly. The flashing cursor shows if I try to boot straight into XP but if the XP disc is in the cd drive it boots fine. Even though I do not press a key to boot from disc. I have done severla CHKDSK /r as well as fixboot and fixmbr. I pressume there is a boot sequence issue or POST test issue but any ideas on how to fix or investigate further would be great.

Thanks in anticipation
    Bugarit :grinthumb

2. scuzzo

scuzzo TS Rookie Posts: 51

Have you gone into the BIOS and checked the boot sequence? How about if a non system disk is in the drive?

3. Bugarit

Bugarit TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Suzzo, I tried disabling the cd drive in the BIOS so that I was only booting from the HDD.
    Anyway, sussed it! I disconnected the CD drive from the IDE cable and power and the PC booted fine. Consequently I have reconnected the cd drive and the machine boots fine now as well.
    So in brief disconnect the cd drive and the issue is resolved.then replce the drive

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.