Folder icons changed to shortcuts

By Scourge2
Nov 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I have two SanDisk flash drives (8 & 32 GB) and a 32 GB SanDisk Micro SD card and, as of yesterday, the folder icons have changed to shortcut icons that refer to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe F/c "start %cd%\sony.exe && %windir%\explorer %cd%\Extras". 'Extras' is just one of the folders on my 8GB flash drive. My files are still on all of my devices, but I cannot access them. After seeing the C prompt statement, I figured I am way out of my league. What do I need to do to restore my folder icons and directly access my files again?

My thanks in advance for your help.

T Smith
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

The files have been corrupted, so I don't think they will be recoverable. Always use SD flash drives for temporary storage, and back up important files also on a DVD or on a second standard hard drive
  3. Scourge2

Scourge2 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

This time, though, thankfully, they were recoverable. I did a *.* search and it showed that all of my files were still there, so I copied them to a new folder on my computer, formatted my flash drive, recopied the files to the drive, and the drive works as good as new. I also made several backups, just in case.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.