Folder Won't Delete on External HDD

By JesseM
Feb 21, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've got a 1TB external, and I'm currently running Win7. This external has been plugged in to many different computers over the years. Somehow it ended up with a locked folder named "708a74c9963bfa0825" with a whole bunch of stuff inside that I don't recognize (lots of .dll's). When I try to delete or edit the folder in any way I get "You need permission to delete this folder" blah blah blah. I'd just love to get rid of this folder. I've tried the "Unlocker" freeware, but it doesn't seem to work with Win7. Any ideas?
  2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 46,130   +251

3. JesseM

JesseM TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 258

Looked promising, but it doesn't support 64-bit OS.
  4. Broni

5. JesseM

Thanks Broni. However, the program was unable to delete (or unlock) the folder. It said there were no processes responsible for it being locked. When I tried selecting an individual file within the locked folder, it told me I needed "permission" to open the file.
  6. Broni

7. JesseM

Thank you so much, that worked perfectly. Very nice little utility, I'll have to remember it. Take care.
  8. Broni

Cool :)............
  9. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

You'd also be surprised how many things can suddenly be deleted by booting into safe mode. Thanks for the link Broni I'll be grabbing that myself.
  10. Broni

You're welcome :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.