TechSpot

Follow up on Dell that loses Wi-Fi when power plugged in

By Benjamin A-S
Aug 31, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. I've been battling this one for a while as well, and what happens is when you plug in the power cord, the wireless device is disabled. If you pull up Device Manager, you can reenable the device there.

I'm on a Dell Latitude E6520 with an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 wifi device. This happens every time I plug in power, either on the laptop or when docking. I've gone through all power settings and driver settings for the wifi device, tried three different driver versions from Intel and Dell, to no avail. If anyone has solved this, tips would be appreciated.
  2. Benjamin A-S

Benjamin A-S Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Oh geez... And I take one more pass through, and in the default Dell power plan (right click on the battery icon and pull up power options, then "Change Plan Settings", then "Change Advanced Power Settings". Expand "Wireless Adapter Settings", "Power Saving Mode", and change the Plugged In setting from "Disabled" to "Maximum Performance".

Sigh... Bad default from Dell. Looks like they're expecting you're using a landline connected docking station, but even then, why would you want to lose bluetooth and any standing wifi connections just because you plugged in. Dumb.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.