Formatting hard drive and adding new os

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay

I have an older computer that is so corrupted, I have to reformat. I am adding memory as that is all I need to get it to take os XP. It was running Win 98se, which I no longer have the disk. I do have a recovery disk from the manufacturer, is Win 98 on that and where would I get the code number from ,if so? I am reformatting and would like to add Windows XP which I have a full version copy w proper credentials. How do I go about doing this? Most articles I have read state I have to put the Win 98 back on after reformatting,,,anyone please help! To give you a bit of idea of how computer savy I am, I did reformat another computer and did replace the os system on it, but putting the new os on :giddy: is confusing from the articles I read,,,thanks for any help!

Normally after fdisking the drive, you would then boot from the XP disc and follow the instructions.

You may need to go into the bios and select the boot priority to, floppy/cd/hdd, then put the xp cd into the cd drive and save and exit bios.

Depending on how old the puter is though, you may have problems getting the drivers for the mobo etc, that are XP signed.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

Thanks for the quick reply Howard,. Computer is a 99, I have all the drivers on CD. So do I need the wind 98 boot **** to reformat, or can I use the new WinXP disk ?

Kay ,
You do not re-install the Win 98 at all.You can just boot from the XP disk itself .It will offer you the option of Delete (Existing Partitions) > Making new Partitions > and Formatting the new partitions in NFTS file system which is much better. Fat 32 ( Win 98/Dos Formatting) will work ,but is just not as good for security etc.
Also DO NOT use the drivers from your old Disk you mentioned.Go to the Web site/s of the Hardware manufacturers and Download their latest drivers for XP.You may find that XP has many drivers built in.
Before you start ,you may want to Back up any files that you want to keep , to CD , etc.

Naturally it would be a good idea to download the XP drivers before the install so you can install after the FIREWALL & ANTIVIRUS before connecting to the net.

Thanks all for the help, the format was successful and now running windows xp, could not boot from the cd, and had to download onto floppies the windows xp boot disk and proceed from there. Had to search microsoft for the right boot disk, they have all the versions, and took me a while to find the boot disk download for Windows XP SP2 version. You might want to pass this on to other beginners. Thanks again! :grinthumb

Naturally it would be a good idea to download the XP drivers before the install so you can install after the FIREWALL & ANTIVIRUS before connecting to the net.

plzz, is it really such an issue. i mean it would take probably 1-2hrs max to find the drivers. the most imp thing is not to use IE .

Actually it is very important. If you load a fresh install of XP, I am willing to be that within 5 minutes you will be compromised without a firewall or antivirus. Those should be installed immediately after loading XP, without the ethernet plugged in.

chessonly said:
plzz, is it really such an issue. i mean it would take probably 1-2hrs max to find the drivers. the most imp thing is not to use IE .

Gave a friend the same instructions and he didn't listen. Short story is he wound up infected within 7 minutes of going online without protection. To try this theory sign up for a new DSL account and see how many buggers try to get in in the installation process alone.
His was a particularly nasty Trojan with a built in dialer...from the phone bill he was able to pinpoint the infection time and the $88.00 in long distance charges he incurred.

patio. :cool:

As Poertner & Patio have confirmed it is necessary. I would be prepared to offer a guarantee that you'll be attacked well within the hour. Infact the first 10 minutes is almost certainly ample time for a virus or two and a few other hijacking nasties.

To try this theory sign up for a new DSL account and see how many buggers try to get in in the installation process alone.

meaning? how can 1 get infected just by getting a dsl connection. cld this happen to any computer or does it depend on the location. i am lan by the way.

Infact the first 10 minutes is almost certainly ample time for a virus or two and a few other hijacking nasties.

well this is interesting. i am not sure exactly how many ways r there to get infected, but i hardly ever get infected and i don't even use a firewall, just a weekly virus scan. this cld be coz i use opera.

Remember ppl browser hijacking is impossible with opera. :grinthumb

chessonly said:
...but i hardly ever get infected and i don't even use a firewall, just a weekly virus scan. this cld be coz i use opera.

Remember ppl browser hijacking is impossible with opera. :grinthumb

Opera is certainly less vunerable than IE, but have you run any programs to check out your system?

Maybe you should look for a replacement for Proxomitron. It's developer died in an accident a while ago, and nothing further has been done since....

"that's an understatement. opera is phishing proof , hijack proof with not more than 2 or 3 vulnerabilities(currently there r none)"
Quote re Chess....

Although I would agree that Oprea is much more secure I do not think it is wise to take that for granted . There is no such thing as " Hijack/Phishing proof"
As users of Mozilla and Linux are finding out more and more as their popularity grows so do the Threats.
Good firewalls are cheap/free and effective, and not much of a bother to have on your machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back