TechSpot

Fortissimo-2 soundcard problems

By erwin1978
Mar 13, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To anyone who owns a Fortissimo 2 soundcard.

Have you experienced any system lock-ups when playing midi files or surfing a webpage that has midi songs playing in the background?

Also, shouldn't the hardware synthesizer use less cpu resource than the Yamaha SYXG50 soft synthesizer. I'm using win2000 and if I use the Fortissimo 2 to play midis the cpu is around 40%, but if I use the Yamaha software synthesizer it's down to around 15%.
  2. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,537   +92

I'm using the Fortissimo2 on windows 98SE and haven't had any problems with it so far. When I get the opportunity I will check the CPU usage for playing Midi files.
    3DS Thomas did a review of this card and noted that this card didn't tolerate much change in the system fsb speed (which overclocks the PCI bus too). I have my system running 1.4Ghz Athlon@1.5 with a 143fsb and haven't experienced any problem yet... Maybe the lockups are related to this? Are you overclocking your fsb at all?

Do you have the latest driver update?
  3. erwin1978

erwin1978 TechSpot Maniac Topic Starter Posts: 327

I don't overclock and I have the 1.50 drivers. The lock-ups occur when I use winamp and media player to play midi files interchangeably. Winamp uses the built-in wavetable while media player uses the Yamaha soft synthesizer. I use both so I can compare the difference in sound quality. My guess is that both synths are conflicting with the system.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.