Foxconn H-rs880 uATX power issues?

ThermoDonut

My computer came with a 300 watt power supply, but I need enough power to run my 9800 gt. when i talked to an hp person about possible replacements, they said that choosing a power supply greater than 300 watts would damage my mobo. is this true? if not, can i have some suggestions for 450-500 watt power supplies that would be compatible with this computer...

shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=Everyday+computing&series_name=p6550z_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/Everyday_computing/p6550z_series

i bought the base config.

are u completely sure? i don't want this thing to blow up lol.

and do u have any recommendations for power supplies 400 watts+ that would work?

Gosh... what a maroon!
Here's an analogy that helps explain why that tech was mistaken.
If he were correct, then it wouldn't be safe to plug anything into any wall socket either.
There is more power available at the socket than any particular appliance will draw.

Plug enough appliances into the same circuit, then the circuit will fail (Fuse blown / breaker tripped),
but having a 20 amp circuit instead of only a 10 amp circuit is not going to hurt your clock radio!

Just because power is available doesn't mean that extra amps will be pushed through the system.
It just means that it will be there when demand is there for it.

What would be more likely to cause damage is being underpowered.
Even then, not highly likely.

Gosh... what a maroon!
Here's an analogy that helps explain why that tech was mistaken.
If he were correct, then it wouldn't be safe to plug anything into any wall socket either.
There is more power available at the socket than any particular appliance will draw.

Plug enough appliances into the same circuit, then the circuit will fail (Fuse blown / breaker tripped),
but having a 20 amp circuit instead of only a 10 amp circuit is not going to hurt your clock radio!

Just because power is available doesn't mean that extra amps will be pushed through the system.
It just means that it will be there when demand is there for it.

What would be more likely to cause damage is being underpowered.
Even then, not highly likely.

yea that's what i was kinda thinking. that makes sense thanks for confirming.

Will that power supply fit?

hmmm... not 100% sure,
but comparing the dimensions of the case and of the power supply, it looks okay.

If the case was very narrow, there might be a problem, but it looks like a standard width.
So unless HP has a specially built case,
with a specially built (non-standard) size power-supply,

then I would think it to be good.

Of course changing the ps on your new HP system will likely void their warranty.
You open your case and you become responsible for any problems from then on. Just FYI.
Not saying "don't do it"... just "do it with your eyes open".

Note - I think the "tech" you talked to was really just itching to make a sale of a power rig,
and thought he "saw you coming".

ok then i'll wait until my computer comes and measure the dimensions of the power supply. also, will 380 watts fully utilize my gpu's power?

Back