Foxconn now has more than 1 million employees

Emil

Staff

Foxconn is a factory complex in China responsible for building consumer electronics for a number of companies, including Apple, Amazon.com, Cisco, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Nintendo, Nokia, Microsoft, Sony, and Sony Ericsson. This morning, the largest contract electronics manufacturer in the world announced its China workforce now exceeds 1 million workers.

"We're still hiring as we speak," Louis Woo, a special assistant to Foxconn's CEO, told Bloomberg. "Because of the Christmas holiday, everybody is working very hard."

The factory is currently in the process of a huge recruitment drive as it rushes to build hundreds of thousands of units of various products to meet anticipated demand for the holiday 2010 season. Foxconn expects as many as 1.3 million workers to be in place by the end of 2011.

Throughout its history, Foxconn's workforce has had various problems due to sweatshop-like working conditions. These include worker abuse, safety issues, violent training, low wages, and in this past year, a spree of suicides.

A few months ago, in response to the suicides, Foxconn's management decided to increase monthly wages for factory workers to 1,200 yuan ($180.32) per month. A second raise to 2000 yuan ($300.53) was given in October to approximately 85 percent of the front-line assembly workers hired before March 31, but it's not clear exactly how many of the the total 1 million workers got a raise.

Permalink to story.

One million bottles of beer on the wall, one million bottles of beer.
One falls down, straight to the ground, 999,999 bottles of beer on the wall....

[/what?! too soon?]

1,000,000 wow...

Anyone know what company has the largest workforce in the world?
Probably some South American drug cartel. But you'd have to count the prostitutes and the street level dealers, even though they're not direct employees.

I imagine that they have to hire a new HR person every minute or so, just to keep up with the hiring!

$300 a month?
Man, I can't get a full day's actual work out of an American employee for ten times that.

You said it. The pool of talent is very shallow lately.
That and the fact that the common work ethic is no longer " an honest day's work for an honest day's pay." In the US, it has become "how little can I do without getting fired?" You know there is an upside to so-called "slave labor," they are usually thankful to even HAVE a job.

yRaz said:
dividebyzero said:
$300 a month?
Man, I can't get a full day's actual work out of an American employee for ten times that.

Your fault for giving them the job;)

It's not his fault for giving them a job, it's just all the good guys are already taken and there is an overstock of lazy bums.

Gimme a break... That's garbage and you know it. Sure, there is an "overstock of lazy bums", that decided they can live off of 99 weeks (recently extended) of unemployment rather than working, though there are A LOT of people that want to WORK for their paycheck.

If Guest hired those lazy people, and knows they are lazy workers, then it is his fault alone for keeping them around. Saying that all the "good guys" are taken is nonsense, when there are tons of good workers out there that would slit their neighbor's throat for a job. Guest, you need to do yourself a favor and send those bums you have working for you packing, or the higher management should send YOU packing.

>Anyone know what company has the largest workforce in the world?

Wal-mart, at 2.1 million employees.

quote "1,000,000 wow...

Anyone know what company has the largest workforce in the world?"

quote "Wal-mart, at 2.1 million employees."

That would mean that 1 in 146 americans work at wal-mart.

or in america from what i can see its 1.2 million out of 307 mil
which makes it 1 in 255 americans work at wall mart which is actually a higher ratio.

owned.

Wendig0 said:
yRaz said:
dividebyzero said:
$300 a month?

Your fault for giving them the job;)

It's not his fault for giving them a job, it's just all the good guys are already taken and there is an overstock of lazy bums.

Gimme a break... That's garbage and you know it. Sure, there is an "overstock of lazy bums", that decided they can live off of 99 weeks (recently extended) of unemployment rather than working, though there are A LOT of people that want to WORK for their paycheck.

If Guest hired those lazy people, and knows they are lazy workers, then it is his fault alone for keeping them around. Saying that all the "good guys" are taken is nonsense, when there are tons of good workers out there that would slit their neighbor's throat for a job. Guest, you need to do yourself a favor and send those bums you have working for you packing, or the higher management should send YOU packing.

I do have a hard time arguing with that, but i still have to disagree with you. In the area where I live there are plenty of jobs and all the good people ARE taken. I work in a place where I see these lazy bums last 2-3 weeks and quit. Even the ones that stay are still a pain and we can't fire them. If they do they have to train someone else just to get fired again. It is stuck in a cycle of replacing bad people with more bad people. I'm sure there are areas where there is a lack of jobs and plenty of hard working people, this is not one of them. If times were different I think this would be a common problem in all areas.

yRaz said:

I do have a hard time arguing with that, but i still have to disagree with you. In the area where I live there are plenty of jobs and all the good people ARE taken. I work in a place where I see these lazy bums last 2-3 weeks and quit. Even the ones that stay are still a pain and we can't fire them. If they do they have to train someone else just to get fired again. It is stuck in a cycle of replacing bad people with more bad people. I'm sure there are areas where there is a lack of jobs and plenty of hard working people, this is not one of them. If times were different I think this would be a common problem in all areas.

I still find it hard to believe, that in a city like Pittsburgh, that ALL of the good workers are taken... Maybe your company needs a new HR person to screen these people better? Crap, they're all taken as well :rollseyes:.

I still find it hard to believe, that in a city like Pittsburgh, that ALL of the good workers are taken... Maybe your company needs a new HR person to screen these people better? Crap, they're all taken as well :rollseyes:.
Hola, Yo soy Manuel Labor'! Trabajo con martillos neumáticos.
bosch_brute_working.jpg

Last edited:
Back