TechSpot

Free broadband?

By haloman
Jun 25, 2008
  1. can someone give me a name of some free broadband access company? I know they are out there.

and don't tell me about goggle tisp that Aprils fool joke. internet through your toilet...lol

2. NetCablesPlus

NetCablesPlus TS Maniac Posts: 228

3. mopar man

mopar man TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,379

Oh, come on, if snakes can travel through your plumbing I'm sure the internet can!

Anyway, I don't know of any free ones either. I wish AT&T would actually worry about the select few people about us people who have to live around.... well the type of people I'm stuck around.

4. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Obi-Wan Jerkobi TS Maniac Posts: 502

I don't know about free broadband, sounds impossible ATM, but there is free dailup service overhere in the northeast.

5. mopar man

Obi-Wan, are you serious? I am paying 20 dollars a month for dial up.

6. Miznia

Miznia TS Rookie

20 bucks, does that include the land line?

7. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Yeah, serious. But it's only available in the east. And you have to call long distance to get a connection usually. But it works well. The only downside (Other than it's much slower than DSL) is that it doesn't allow the usage of Outlook Express type mail clients. You can only use webmail.

Here they are: www.freedialup.org

I use my account at my grandmothers (Which I am there a lot mopar man, so I know how you feel.) I get an ok connection, usually 48kbps from there. (And that's from a New Hampshire station to lake ontario so that's pretty good I guess.

8. mopar man

Oh no, its just for Dial up and Internet Call waiting, the Land line in total is $50, including dial up.

9. mopar man

Hmm, mine is a lot slower. Ranging from 25.8kbps, to 41.6kbps. Crappy phone lines.

10. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

I used to have something else there, localnet or something. And that was 11.95 a month.

11. mopar man

Yes, but everything below 20 dollars here is like 28.8 constantly, or Ads everywhere, which I can't stand.

12. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

No ads here, I'm using it at my house and I get 36 Kbps. That's wierd, are you in a small part of Tennessee?

13. mopar man

Yes, Kinda. Im just east of Chattanooga, in a small county. My grandma's house is nearer to chattanooga, and she gets dsl for the same price as my dial up, from the same company (AT&T).

14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

They Be Shootin' agin'........

I guess that the only virtue that living in the cesspool that we laughingly call "Killadelphia" has, is the fact that I'm getting 768kbs DSL for $14.95 a month from Verizon.

15. Obi-Wan Jerkobi

Really? I'm getting 3Mbps Verizon for around $30 a month, together with the Phone and Direct TV it's ~$80/month.

16. haloman

haloman TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 66

great..start your own discussion somewhere else will ya?

the nerve of some people...

17. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,702   +1,886

I just adore social entitlement programs, don't you? Pity broadband internet isn't one of them.

Since you're not likely to find "Free Broadband" anyway, maybe we should call for the padlock as we leave.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.