Free copies of Windows 7 shipping to select beta testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft today sent an email to participants of the invitation-only Windows 7 and Server 2008 Technical Beta Program, informing them that their free commemorative boxed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate will be delivered in the next four to six weeks. Redmond said that most shipments should arrive via FedEx, and that no tracking number will be provided. The email also noted that people outside the US may have to pay duties or other local taxes upon receipt.

In July, Microsoft decided to hand out free copies of Windows 7 Ultimate to appease the many beta testers who felt their help and feedback was unappreciated. Only invitees of the early closed beta program were eligible -- meaning that users who downloaded the public beta have to pony up like the rest of us. Microsoft gave that handful of testers the choice between downloading a copy of Windows 7 and getting it sooner, or having a physical boxed copy shipped and receiving it later.

If you're one of the lucky few, feel free to gloat in the comments.

Permalink to story.

It's good to see MS looking after people who probably helped MS to improve their product and thus get some good reviews.

Windows 7 is great IMO, I never really used Vista just went from Xp straight to 7. But I just love 7. I keep going to use features of 7 on XP machines and feel sad when they are not there or don't work.

I'm hearing mixed bag of opinions of 7, a few remarked that it's not much better than XP.
I am pessimistic, it was rushed development cycle after Vista, I'm not expecting much from bloatco.
If DX11 really takes off (did DX10?) that could change things, but I'm on a DX10 card, so there's another expense I want to avoid due to the too new factor, also.

I'm very impressed with Windows 7, but I was one of those people that never really had a major issue with Vista once it was configured to my liking.

Windows 7 does seem to boot faster and run much more nicely than 7 and works wonderfully on netbooks

I have to largely agree. I absolutely hated Vista at first. The whole UAC was a laughable joke as it is little more than "nag-ware". Once I learned to tweak it and perform the appropriate registry hacks it was actually quite smooth. Windows 7 clearly is superior. It truly is Vista "done right" with some added new improvements. I will eventually migrate to Windows 7 but right now I've got three computers finally running silky smooth on Vista so I'm in no great rush. I just hope MS learned a lesson . . . better to get it "Right" than get it out "Right Away".

I've got an MSDN account, so getting my legit copy of 7 wasn't too much of a hassle, and holy crap, 7 is just plain amazing. It's really what Vista should have been in the first place, I mean Microsoft even admitted how big of a failure it was.

I'm still using Vista, even though I was a beta tester and got a license for Win 7. I had a reason not to switch before (networking problem with other PC's) but now it's mainly that Vista is good enough, and I don't feel like spending time on the upgrade at this time. I'm sure I'll move to it eventually, and will enjoy it.

Badfinger, DX10 will take off when most people have a system that supports it, that is, Vista or higher and a DX10 card. If you're still using XP, you're part of the reason it hasn't really taken off. And please, try Windows 7 before judging it.

Its good that microsoft is doing this. Proves they appreciate all the feedback we gave them. Im just annoyed that i didnt get accepted into the invitation only group! Im just waiting for the price of it to come down enough for me to afford before the RC expires!

Nice to see Microsoft trying to clean up a bit , but in my opinion they should try harder , put some hardcore effort into this and not trying to buy people off with some little announcements . But still good stuff MS ;)

Its far from little.
They have been giving away thousands of copies in US. And even worldwide. For free
Plus they allowed Beta and RC testing of Windows 7 more than any other Windows release ever had
And the deals and hundreds of other giveaways that MS has done with the build up of Windows 7 is incredible
It has been hardcore effort ;) and set to give MS the advertising they desired with a record revenue of almost $1.5 billion related to pre-orders of Windows 7
This little adventure has helped MS and many Users massively.

I didn't get a free copy however I was able to take part in the $50 upgrade pre-order. I have been using Windows 7 at work for a few months now and I really like it. It is basically Vista R2, that have put in the little touchs, tweaked it and made it very solid. I find that when I have to use Vista or XP I really miss the Windows 7 features. In Windows 7 I can find and use apps/data much quicker and easier.

@razerblade
I wouldn't hold my breath for Microsoft to lower the price of Windows 7 before I buy it. As far as I know, they've never really lowered their prices for past Windows releases. Maybe when Windows 8 is released, but until then, I'd just grab an OEM version of Windows 7 if I were you.

It'd be so good if Microsoft let ALL beta users and RC users get a free copy of 7. Never gonna happen though XD

I for one can't wait to make the switch. I loved Vista when i first made the switch from XP. The drawbacks for me have been minor and i can accept things like uac for the added features Vista had. Nonetheless Windows 7 hear i come!!!!!!

I think this is somthing microsoft had to do.I also think they should give all regeristered Vista Ulimate users something as well; if you hear anything let me know. But all joking a side Microsoft is doing a pretty good job this time around.W7 is pretty cool.They would go out busness if they gave all RC users.

Microsoft just realized that the best way to promote its OS is offering free samples from time to time. Have in mind that 7even is what Vista should have been, and Vista didn`t impress too many people. Infact my opinion is that they should have skipped Vista for 7.

Sweet, so technically I could be eligible for that! Rock on! Of course, I can also get the discount . . . so really it would only cost me $30 to buy, but that is a lot of money right now . . .

I'm just simply surprised that Microsoft is actually going to give away copies of Windows 7 to beta testers of any sort. It seems so out of character for them.

Having said that it makes me think that there's still hope for them yet lol.

Darn, and now I want a free copy of windows 7...

I got my copy of Ultimate after attending a Launch event. Definitely worth the time to do a clean install. I still don't get people who are so preoccupied with the "upgrade" direct path... just grow a pair, backup your docs, add some RAM to your system, start the install & format the drive... then enjoy the pure & heavenly performance in a system you just pulled from the abyss.

@Colonel Lance, Microsoft has given away copies of the OS to beta testers in the past. This time they actually said at first that they won't, but changed their minds.

I've tested 7 since the start of public beta and I've upgraded both of my pcs right after the release. They're much better than Vistas and XPs will be left to rot anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back