freezes from good ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minorthreat777

Hello this is my second time posting here(last time it was about a similar problem but I wasn't able to access the forums after a few days so I couldn't read the responses) so here is the story...I have a amd 3500 alienware with a 7600 gtx card and 2gigs of ram ...my computer started freezing and sometimes the hard drive wouldn't boot when I would restart after a freeze up...this kept getting worse untill it just wouldn't boot up..the power would turn on but the hard drive light wouldn't beep like it does when it works and the monitor wouldn't turn on...so i tried booting it up with each stick of ram individually and booted it with minimal config ..then I did the paper clip powersoure trick and the fans spun ....so I hooked up my old computer after a while and put two sticks of the alienware ram in it....later on I decided to take the alienware in for repair...the guy said he fixed it but he was vague about what he did so I don't think he did anything ...I got it home and it worked fine...after an hour or so I remember about the other 2 sticks of ram in the old computer i've been using so I put it back in the alienware and after 30mins or so the alienware started freezing up again over and over ...next morning I boot it up again a few times and same thing happens ...then I take those 2 sticks of ram out(which work just fine in my old computer and used to work just fine in the alienware...they came with it) and it now is running fine...does anyone know what's going on here...and how I can get those 2 sticks of ram(256mb each) back working in my alien ware? sorry about the lengthy post and thanks in advance to anyone willing to read through all this and try to help :)

update: so right after I made this post my alienware froze again..it ran fine for hours but I pluged the cable in right before I made this post..is it possible a network card could cause this problem?

Hi Minorthreat777, I don't think your problems is caused by network card, its still the ram, if the frequencies are not similar, the will work but after when u upgrade or install new drivers, they will start misbehaving, with is ok because u r supposed to have compartible ram in yo machine, now the reason y yo old pc works is because that is normal to it, it can adjust to what ever is in the DDR2 SLOT 1, But for the new ones, they will try to overclock to reach the same frequency. Then u will have those problems coming, the next behavior that might coming up if u insist, is having the blue screen of death.
I suggest that u order for new ram that is compartible.

Wish u luck
Robin

ok downloading now and if i can get the alienware to stay on long enough to use it i'll let you know what i find..thanks for your help!

I got the program(everest) running and looked at it for a while before my alienware froze but I have no idea what I'm looking for...I don't know much at all about this stuff..what do I look at to see my ram frequencies in this program and how do I know if it is compatable ...do I need to pay for the fulll version of everest to get this info? or will the trial version you linked me work?

never mind about the ram. I tried working ram from a different computer and the exact same thing happened...must be cpu or motherboad :( which means I should start saving for a new computer right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back