Fresh install of Vista, still getting crashes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agour

Hi, sorry to be such a nusaince with my first post, but I read through some of the stickys, and couldnt find what I was looking for in regards my problem.

Basically, I recently built a PC, which started having minor problems (games crashing and such) which I tried to sort out, but didnt. Anyway, I bought a new HDD, so I formatted and went for a fresh install if vista, thinking it would solve the problem.
I have been experiencing lockups with the game ''assassins creed'', and also with the game ''CoD4''. AC will crash about 2 minutes into the game, and CoD4 could not crash once for a whole week, or could crash 10 minutes after turning it on. I figured that it was down to my gfx card overheating (as loads of artifacts would appear on screen, then it would lock up). I downloaded and ran everest, logging the temperatures of my gpu, which never rose above 65degrees C, when the game was crashing.

Sorry for the long description, thought it may help.

Heres the error produced on reboot:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA8005EA6010
BCP2: FFFFF9800425F160
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini033108-01.dmp
C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-82633-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Local\Temp\WER4B51.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
I decided to check the three files, the last two didnt exist, and I have attached the dump file to this post.

I guess it must be a hardware issue, possibly related to my ram?
Also, here's my basic pc spec:
Mobo: gigabyte p35-ds3r
Processor: E6750 @ 2.66GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM (from overclockers.co.uk, debranded cheap stuff.)
Hard Drive: 1x 150gb raptor, 1x500gb maxtor
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545)
Psu: cheap artic-cooling one (could be underpowered?)

Thanks for the reply kims, at last I know the cause of my problems :D

I was looking at the thread you linked me to, and he explains software which ''leaves you extrememly vulnerable to hackers'', not something I really want. I think it may be time to upgrade to XP, seeing as from what I have read about this nvlddmkm.sys error, it seems to be vista only.

On a side note, would this dodgy driver be causing all of the problems I have been having, or could some of it be down to some of my components?

I have found a few more fixes which I shall be trying tomorrow, before going back to xp. I'll post here anyway if they work, so you know for future reference.

It's easier to confirm all software is Ok first
Some tech shops even format and re-install clean, then decide on possible Hardware fault.
This is to eliminate the easy software possibility.

So not hardware yet

I downgraded my OS from Vista Ultimate that came with ny Notebook to XP SP2. I coudn´t stand too many BSODs with Vista. Now with XP I had only 2 and I think I solved the problem..

Ok, I formatted back to xp and did a fresh install.

Still getting lockups a few minutes into AC, and randomly on CoD 4...
I used rivatuner to put my gfx fan on full, but it still locked up.

You think its time to send my gfx card back?

Maybe you shoud try different drivers for yorur GFX. I had BSODs in XP that pointed to graphics drivers (X3100 IGP) and I rolled back to the old ones and now no more BSODs so far..

coolink said:
Maybe you shoud try different drivers for yorur GFX. I had BSODs in XP that pointed to graphics drivers (X3100 IGP) and I rolled back to the old ones and now no more BSODs so far..
I'll give that a go later.
How will I know if i'm getting BSOD's in xp, because when it crashed, it just stayed like that untill I restarted it manually, with no error message on boot. Whereas vista restarted and gave me the error?

Well, like its name says, a Blue Screen appears with an error code, then you restart and windows will make a minidump file.

coolink said:
Well, like its name says, a Blue Screen appears with an error code, then you restart and windows will make a minidump file.
yeah but a bluescreen didnt appear, it just stayed crashed till I restarted :p

Very strange. Does it create a minidump file? C:\Windows\Minidump

Go to start>Run and type eventvwr. Go to System tab and see if there is a red X with System error name.

coolink said:
Very strange. Does it create a minidump file? C:\Windows\Minidump

Go to start>Run and type eventvwr. Go to System tab and see if there is a red X with System error name.
it cant find the minidump folder, says it doesnt exist.

And there are some red x error things, along with some warnings, which I guess cant be good either..

Im not sure how to get anything usefull of those red x's, the only thing I saw which could be of use is this:
Unknown error on CMDre 00000001 00000080 00000000 00000005 00000006

It also says the source of the error was ''nv'', my graphics drivers?

coolink said:
Try to change your NV drivers and see if the problems persists..
Just updated to latest ones, and the problem seemed to come on faster than before. I checked that eventvwr thing, and there was no red X..

According to the nvidia website, theres only been 2 proper versions of drivers released, the ones I just installed, and the ones I had installed.
Going to try the latest beta-drivers now instead..

Still no luck.

Any more idea's?

Thanks.

I just encountered this problem for the first time today (nvlddmkm.sys) when running Assassins Creed. I have never had it in Vista with any other games, I have several of the newest titles. I was searching around for solutions but didn't seem to find anything anywhere that really solved the problem. Most spoke of ram being the issue like you thought. I have 4gb of Mushkin XP2, not cheap stuff. I adjusted my memory clocks so they weren't overclocked and nothing. I remembered seeing there was a DX10.exe and a DX9.exe in the game folder. I decided maybe for the heck of it I would run the DX9.exe and see if that changed anything. I played the game for about an hour and a half with no error. With the DX10.exe it would do actual game play for about 4 minutes. I also thought the cards may be getting to hot, but I noticed with Everest that wasn't the problem either. So maybe try the other .exe, maybe it will fix your problem for Assassins Creed at least, it has for me. Also I'm running 174.74. I have never had any problems with CoD4 though.

I used rivatuner to put my gfx fan on full, but it still locked up.

Funny they have a 52XF550 for less than the 52XV540. If the prices keep going the way they are I may be looking at the 52 instead of the 46.

jevers77 said:
I just encountered this problem for the first time today (nvlddmkm.sys) when running Assassins Creed. I have never had it in Vista with any other games, I have several of the newest titles. I was searching around for solutions but didn't seem to find anything anywhere that really solved the problem. Most spoke of ram being the issue like you thought. I have 4gb of Mushkin XP2, not cheap stuff. I adjusted my memory clocks so they weren't overclocked and nothing. I remembered seeing there was a DX10.exe and a DX9.exe in the game folder. I decided maybe for the heck of it I would run the DX9.exe and see if that changed anything. I played the game for about an hour and a half with no error. With the DX10.exe it would do actual game play for about 4 minutes. I also thought the cards may be getting to hot, but I noticed with Everest that wasn't the problem either. So maybe try the other .exe, maybe it will fix your problem for Assassins Creed at least, it has for me. Also I'm running 174.74. I have never had any problems with CoD4 though.

hmm, the different exes made no difference (seeing as im in xp anyway, I cant run dx10 one now)
thanks anyway

My freind has told me that I may be able to return it for a replacement, so I have emailed MSI to see what they have to say. Everything points towards the gfx card being faulty, hopefully I can pay some excess and get a new GTS :p

I have discoevered that I do get the error when running the DX9.exe also, the game just plays a lot longer before it happens. Doing a lot of reading there are a number of people expierencing this problem. Mostly with the 8800 series cards which I would believe is very true. I have a laptop with a 8600gt and vista 32 and the game runs perfectly fine on it, no crashes at all. My desktop has 2 8800gt's. Check the Ubisoft forums, I found a whole disscussion on this but I can't post the link since this is only my 2nd post.

If Assassins Creed is the only game you have trouble with than I doubt your card is bad. We just have to wait for a patch, something is obviously wrong with the game. I hope it comes soon becuase it looks and runs much better on my desktop.

I have problems with Cod4 though too.. Hopefully MSI will get back to me soon.

My pc has just bluescreened properly, and left me with a dump, which is attactched.
Can someone check it for me please?
Thanks

Inside the 1 MiniDump:
BugCheck 1000008E, {c000001d, b6effe5f, bacd7b2c, 0}
Probably caused by : RtkHDAud.sys

RTKHDAUD.SYS: Realtek(r) High Definition Audio Function Driver.

Please download and install your updated audio drivers

kimsland said:
Inside the 1 MiniDump:

RTKHDAUD.SYS: Realtek(r) High Definition Audio Function Driver.

Please download and install your updated audio drivers
when I looked for the audio drivers, should I just download universal realtek hd ones
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/REALTEK/REALTEK-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-154.shtml
or use the 'Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip' off the gigabyte website? http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2746

hopefully the download from gigabyte will increase over 3kbs at some point

lol

But have the BSOD (blue screens) gone ?

teamspeak: Free half duplex, channel based voice chat software
You may need to reset up your Mic in the teamspeak area (actually I know little of this chat program)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back