Full version of Windows 8 leaked to file sharing sites

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The final version of Windows 8 has leaked onto the Internet just one day after Microsoft made the upcoming operating system available to OEM partners. The leaked copy is an “N” version of Windows 8 which means it doesn’t include Windows Media Player. A 2004 European Union ruling mandated that Microsoft must provide a copy of Windows that didn’t bundle the media player.

The N version is now publically available across various file sharing sites. Microsoft has declined to comment on the leak, but it seems plausible at this point that someone working at an OEM partner is responsible for the leak.

As we reported yesterday, MSDN and TechNet customers won’t be able to get their hands on the finalized version of Windows until August 15. This gives developers just over two months to submit their paid apps for inclusion in the Windows Store.

As you likely already know, Microsoft has set a release date of October 26 for the next generation operating system. It goes without saying that it’s probably in your best interest to wait until the OS is officially released before making the switch.

Upgrade pricing is set at only $39.99 for those running legit copies of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7. Furthermore, if you purchased a Windows 7 machine in the months leading up to Windows 8’s release, you’ll be eligible to upgrade for just $14.99.

Permalink to story.

Now the final version is out there, I'm sure there must be a whole bunch of people who want to be the first to write an activation crack, like removeWAT for 7. I wonder how MS have tried to prevent this in 8.

I'm going to guess this will be DL'ed off BT as often as my little pony episodes..

as a side note: AHAHAHAHAHHAHAH.. sorry, but man it looks good on M$

Enterprise only works with VL keys. It bypasses key input on setup, but requires an activation server present in AD or a MAK key applied retroactively post setup. It works that way so corporations can distribute copies of the software internally without sharing any keys with their employees.

Will gladly wait until August 15 when I can download it from MSDN. I am also purchasing three copies of the final release. At 39.99, it's a steal. Been using Windows 8 since the Dev Preview everyday.

Enterprise only works with VL keys. It bypasses key input on setup, but requires an activation server present in AD or a MAK key applied retroactively post setup. It works that way so corporations can distribute copies of the software internally without sharing any keys with their employees.

Indeed. I'm typing this from Windows 8 RTM right now. You can still use it, but you can't customize or change settings. I'm sure the hacking community will have an activator by the end of the week.

And I never thought I'd say this, but IE10 is <I>so much</I> faster than Chrome it's ridiculous. After many side-by-side comparisons, it still took me a while to properly admit it.

So, Microsoft is in the path of reworking its products, brands and making things simpler, better, more straightforward (think Surface, Skydrive, Windows on everything, Outlook vs. Hotmail, etc.) They should also rework their distribution model for Windows. I mean, waiting 60 days for an operating system that is essentially done is too much. If the average user could pay the $40 upgrade fee tomorrow or next week, I'm sure Microsoft would have to worry less about pirate copies making the rounds.

Indeed. I'm typing this from Windows 8 RTM right now. You can still use it, but you can't customize or change settings. I'm sure the hacking community will have an activator by the end of the week.

And I never thought I'd say this, but IE10 is <I>so much</I> faster than Chrome it's ridiculous. After many side-by-side comparisons, it still took me a while to properly admit it.

IE Team: Guys we have been trying and trying but we cant beat Chrome , what should we do?
Jannitor passing by: Just ask the OS guys upstairs to block Chrome from the stuff that makes it fast.

....True Story

I wouldn't use Windows 8 if you paid me, I'll stick with Windows 7 thank you very much. :)

Yes Windows8 build 9200 is available on various torrent sites.

EDIT Leeky: Link removed. We're all capable of searching for links if we wish. Please refrain from adding them here as it's quite clear this isn't legal.

I wouldn't use Windows 8 if you paid me, I'll stick with Windows 7 thank you very much. :)

Oh, whew, that was quite a zinger. Haven't heard that one yet.

Hey, did you hear Windows 8 was going to fail because every other Windows OS fails?

[FONT=Helvetica]"It goes without saying that it’s probably in your best interest to wait until the OS is officially released before making the switch." No, it goes without saying that I shan't be bothering.[/FONT]

I love Windows 8, its fast, smooth and sharp... there I said it :)

IE Team: Guys we have been trying and trying but we cant beat Chrome , what should we do?
Jannitor passing by: Just ask the OS guys upstairs to block Chrome from the stuff that makes it fast.

....True Story

That's only for the arm version of windows. Not the normal windows, which is the one that he's refering to.

True Story.

Windows 8 seems all about marketing to the mobile set, with the bright colorful boxes. I don't need or want my operating system to gobble up all of my screen area with boxes and effect other options outside of the area that I am not aware of. I tried the Windows 8 preview version and really tried to like it but in the end had to remove 8 and reload 7. Pain in the butt!!!!! I will stick with windows for now, but I think Windows 8 is a miss, ie 95/Melenium/vista.

Seriously, if they just spent 2 weeks creating a start menu for desktop users (so people could choose between metro and start menu, or have both) NONE of this arguments would be happening, and Windows 8 would sell sell sell, at least among techies.

....True Story

Huh? I think you're a little lost. The version that leaked is not the ARM version.

If it makes you feel better, Chrome is still a superior browser overall (interface, security, add-ons, etc.). It's just not the fastest anymore.

It's not even worth torrenting, I wouldn't even use it if it was free..

Back