Galaxy Note 4 "GapGate" issue is a manufacturing feature, according to user manual

Shawn Knight

Staff member

galaxy note

No matter how big or small, the Internet loves a controversy. Apple’s iPhone 6 Plus was the center of last month’s “bendgate” and it looks as though Samsung may be next up at bat.

Initial reports out of Korea suggest the Galaxy Note 4 may suffer from a quality control issue resulting in excessive gaps between the edge of the phone’s screen and its chassis. Photos of the purported “gapgate” show business cards stuffed in the gaps – both at the top and on the sides of the screen.

galaxy note

As it turns out, Samsung is well aware of the gap which, according to them, isn’t an “issue” but part of the overall design.

Buried deep in the Note 4’s instruction manual (page 180 under the ‘troubleshooting’ section) is a reference to the gap around the screen. It states that the gap is a necessary manufacturing feature and some minor rocking or vibration of parts may occur. The manual also points out that over time, friction between parts may cause this gap to expand slightly.

galaxy note

The latter statement could be interpreted in one of two ways. If read word-for-word, it suggests parts will rub together over time which will make them smaller and increase the gap.

Another interpretation (which seems more likely to me) is that the gaps are there for when parts heat up and expand under regular use, similar to why sidewalks have gaps in them (albeit that’s mostly for ice expanding, but it’s the same principle).

All things considered, it’s still a bit too early to put the issue to bed. How widespread is the gap? Does it affect just a few handsets or is it noticeable on every unit? Is the gap large enough that hair, dirt or other debris could get trapped inside?

I suspect it’ll likely be a non-issue but we won’t know for sure until the handset launches in the US starting October 17.

Permalink to story.

the gaps are there for when parts heat up and expand under regular use, similar to why sidewalks have gaps in them (albeit that’s mostly for ice expanding, but it’s the same principle).

The gaps in sidewalks are there for two reasons.

1) the gaps are an engineer place of weakness. Instead of a crack in the middle of the slap, the crack will occur where the joints are "cut"

2)You often see a black strip(usually rubber) between every 3rd or 4th slab in a sidewalk or between every slab in a driveway. These are expansion joints. Without these strips the slabs will press against each other in the heat. This results in cracking and buckling of the concrete.

I own a masonry company and I will give you guys a tip for making your sidewalks and driveways last longer. DO NOT SALT YOUR SIDEWALKS OR DRIVEWAY IN THE WINTER. It kills your sidewalk, kills your gardens, kills your grass, kills your driveway and, the real kicker, damages the foundation of your house. Shovel your snow and if it is icy, throw some coarse sand down.

Anyway, back on topic. My lumia 1520 has a rubber strip between the digitizer and the case. It never would have occurred to me that this would be for expansion of the components due to heat. I really don't think a gap around the note is as big a deal as iPhones bending and holding their shape. Seems like the apple crowd grasping at straws trying to discredit their competitor.

Very interesting how this is needed to manage heat. I wonder if that is the true purpose.

Sounds like Apple users
the gaps are there for when parts heat up and expand under regular use, similar to why sidewalks have gaps in them (albeit that’s mostly for ice expanding, but it’s the same principle).

The gaps in sidewalks are there for two reasons.

1) the gaps are an engineer place of weakness. Instead of a crack in the middle of the slap, the crack will occur where the joints are "cut"

2)You often see a black strip(usually rubber) between every 3rd or 4th slab in a sidewalk or between every slab in a driveway. These are expansion joints. Without these strips the slabs will press against each other in the heat. This results in cracking and buckling of the concrete.

I own a masonry company and I will give you guys a tip for making your sidewalks and driveways last longer. DO NOT SALT YOUR SIDEWALKS OR DRIVEWAY IN THE WINTER. It kills your sidewalk, kills your gardens, kills your grass, kills your driveway and, the real kicker, damages the foundation of your house. Shovel your snow and if it is icy, throw some coarse sand down.

Anyway, back on topic. My lumia 1520 has a rubber strip between the digitizer and the case. It never would have occurred to me that this would be for expansion of the components due to heat. I really don't think a gap around the note is as big a deal as iPhones bending and holding their shape. Seems like the apple crowd grasping at straws trying to discredit their competitor.

Well, it sounds like Apple users did not get to page 180 of the User's Manual; Much Ado About Nothing section. A documented design feature and they're pointing fingers? I mean, c'mon....

"I suspect it’ll likely be a non-issue..."

It's possible that some (or maybe a lot) of people won't care, but I won't be getting a phone with gaps; and I was really looking forward to owning the note 4...I guess that won't be happening until this issue is addressed.

You notice all iPhone users aren't all over this?

BECAUSE THEY DON"T CARE.

They don't whine and cry about everything Samsung. Android fanboys (90% chance samsung users) please take notice. Follow the example.

Very interesting how this is needed to manage heat. I wonder if that is the true purpose.

If it were, we'd have seen this on other devices before. The latest generation devices run the lowest power processors yet, and also therefore have the lowest temps. There have been plenty of phones in the past that need to throttle performance due to overheating and none of them have ever had a gap to account for it.

I'd guess it's a quirk from the manufacturing process that they couldn't work out due to their extremely tight deadlines. If they come out and say it's intentional it reduces the controversy.

If it were, we'd have seen this on other devices before. The latest generation devices run the lowest power processors yet, and also therefore have the lowest temps. There have been plenty of phones in the past that need to throttle performance due to overheating and none of them have ever had a gap to account for it.

I'd guess it's a quirk from the manufacturing process that they couldn't work out due to their extremely tight deadlines. If they come out and say it's intentional it reduces the controversy.
Very true. Well said.

I'd be annoyed because dust and what not would get in that gap. I guess I could use a business card to clean that out... similar to what I do for my keyboards.

It's bound to be a furore over nothing. It's not gonna put off many potential buyers. I've seen close up pics of it and it's so paper thin and unnoticeable, nothing to get excited about. If I was interested in buying one (which I'm not) I wouldn't take any notice of it.

BECAUSE THEY DON"T CARE.

They don't whine and cry about everything Samsung. Android fanboys (90% chance samsung users) please take notice. Follow the example.

Uhm, what are you trolling for over here, Guest?

BECAUSE THEY DON"T CARE.

Mostly because Apple fans don't read tech sites. From my experience, Apple fans are not of a technical nature - whereas the majority of technical people prefer either a Windows or Android experience.

I really don't think a gap around the note is as big a deal as iPhones bending and holding their shape. Seems like the apple crowd grasping at straws trying to discredit their competitor.

Yea, sounds like it to me, too. If anything this "gap" makes it easier to repair. lol

BECAUSE THEY DON"T CARE.

Mostly because Apple fans don't read tech sites. From my experience, Apple fans are not of a technical nature - whereas the majority of technical people prefer either a Windows or Android experience.

Another, brilliant point. Keep 'em coming. lol

Yeah, there is no way a phone sized piece of glass, regardless of what type of glass or plastic polymer it may be with, is going to expand business card thicknesses with the heat a person can hold. Its a manufacturing defect.

When this "feature" is quietly fixed over the next few months and newly produced units no longer have the gap, you'll know you were lied to.

Back