Games, video, Memtest and BIOS crash my computer

Hi everyone

Comp specs:

HP Compaq Presario CQ60 Notebook PC
AMD Athalon Dual Core QL-62 2.00 GHz
2 GB RAM 32 bit operating system
Windows Vista Service pack 2

The computer shop is not able to help me with my computer so I'm on my own. My fan went out so I took it in for a replacement fan. When I got it back I tried to play a game and it crashed after 10 minutes. Black screen and computer just shuts off. I've seen a BSOD a couple of times on startup. It's gotten progressively worse as flash games crash it, now megavideo will crash it. I tried checking the RAM with memtest86+ and it crashed. Someone suggested underclocking and when I tried to get into the BIOS, crash. I've done all virus checks and defrag. I updated my NVIDIA drivers. Speedfan is not helping me as its reading lava hot temps when my comp is cool to the touch and the new fan is running fine. When it crashes it seems slightly warm but I can't understand why it ran fine with the dinky fan it came with and but now that I have a new one it would overheat. I do not think it's the PSU because this all still happens on battery. I was going to use 3D mark to test my VID card but at this point I just know it will crash too. I was really hoping it was RAM but now I think it might be fried caps on the mobo. I'm getting ready to take my comp apart and look. I can only really afford to fix the problem the first try on this, a new comp is not an option right now. I am not a computer genius but I'm not an dummy either. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I am at my wits end with this.

I would think it's worth taking the RAM out and refitting it, in doing that it will (slightly) clean the contacts. If you have any other suitable ram, even if it's less than you use now, fit that and test the pc for stability.

Thanks for your response.
I did try that, tried switching them around, using just one. memtest86+ crashed the comp at 4% each time. I don't have any available RAM to switch it with for testing so I'll have to order some but I agree with you it's worth replacing the RAM. Now that I've seen whats involved with just getting a look at the motherboard...no way.

To anyone who may look at this for help; I found out Nvidia has been putting out faulty graphics cards for years and even had a class action lawsuit against them. Which explains the driver errors, BSOD and system instability. It's overheating and will destroy my mobo if it hasn't already. I wonder if it's even worth replacing the video card at this point. Thanks Nvidia.

ladystarlight,
Your post on Nvidia's drivers is based on very old information. You have a HP laptop, so go to HP's support site and get updated drivers from there

Thanks I'll try that but doubt it will help. My GPU temp is running 95-102C with a brand new fan. If I can get the fan to run constantly it might help prolong the complete meltdown of my comp. Thoughts?

Laptop internal temps are naturally higher than desktops. Laptop fans are not made to run constantly. Get yourself a quality laptop cooler platform, and learn to use it always. Some laptops are known to have heat issues, so a cooler is a real necessity

Thanks I'll try that but doubt it will help. My GPU temp is running 95-102C with a brand new fan. If I can get the fan to run constantly it might help prolong the complete meltdown of my comp. Thoughts?
Plenty.
BIOS update. afaik every laptop that had potential (and realized) problems with Nvidia's GPU high-lead underfill has had BIOS revisions to allow for the cooling fan to always be running under AC power and aggressive cooling profiles when the GPU is using 3D clocks.
Fan: There are only three metrics worth using in considering a fan –and size or how new it is) isn’t either of them. Static pressure, actual flow rate and whether the fan is actually in use when it needs to be (see BIOS update, see driver profile)

None of which, is worth a worn a damn if you aren’t bothered about correcting an obvious fault with the RAM
Now that I've seen whats involved with just getting a look at the motherboard...no way.
And yes, a failed Memtest86+ run is indicative of failing memory IC’s. Insufficient/fluctuating/over voltage (“fried caps”/failing MCH) typically result in a non-boot.
Kind of makes me wonder why you have posted when you’ve supplied a problem list that includes bad RAM (likely), bad GPU and bad motherboard –this laptop would be technically termed “a basketcase”
I wonder if it's even worth replacing the video card at this point.
I wouldn't, and here's why...
3. Laptops are able to be utilized much better when they have no video function, and...
2. That'll teach Nvidia (and AMD*). We don't need no stinking MXM graphics.
1. Troubleshoot one area at a time. The failed Memtest86 run indicates bad RAM. This is an obvious starting point, as is ascertaining whether the laptops BIOS is up to date.

* Yes to the obvious question. You can replace an nvidia card with an ATi/AMD MXM module.

Back