Games will not run when using i7-3770k

cmbjive

I have a real issue and I would greatly appreciate your help. I just recently built my PC with the following configuration:

i7-3770K @ stock 3.5 Ghz
16GB Corsair RAM (PC-12800) nonoverclocked
ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard
1TB Hitachi HDD @ 7200 rpm
2TB Hitach HDD @ 7200 rpm
120GB Kingston SSD for Windows 8 boot only
250GB Seagate HDD @ 5400 rpm (this was only installed to remove files)
12x LG Blu-Ray Drive
24x ASUS DVD-RW

As you can see there are no graphics cards so I am using the integrated Intel 4000 graphics that is part of the i7-3770k. My problem is that when I try to run games my PC suddenly freezes. I first tried it with Torchlight 2 which has a known issue of freezing PCs so I tried to run Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 (yes, these are old games). All of them froze my system. I know this can't be because the games are old: I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that can play all three games without any issues so I am assuming there is something going on with the CPU. Can any of you provide any technical assistance as to what might be going on? I did try to install some old X1900s (yes! Everything's old as I haven't built a PC since 2005) but I did not want to hassle with those just yet.

Any help would be grealy appreciated.

Well, it looks like I solved my own issue. However, if anyone is running into the same issue you will need to enter your Bios and set your voltage options to Auto. Here is the link that helped me solve my problem:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/32592?start=15&tstart=0

Specifically fantassin's respoonse. I don't know why you have to set the voltage to Auto (on my board I simply set the AI Tweaker Turbo option to Auto and saved it), but it solves the problem in the interim until Intel can release a new driver to address the issue permanently.

I can't believe u built that with one of the core components missing....add at least a mainstream video card to the lineup buddy.

Intel HD 4000 is a great on-chip GPU, as these things go, but not really for gaming. Almost any dedicated video card will run games much better, and if you're willing to spend ~$150 on a 7790 or 650 Ti, you'll be amazed at the difference. I recently upgraded to a 660 Ti (from 550 Ti) and even between these cards the difference is like night and day. If you want to run the latest games at decent frame rates, some additional investment is required.

Back