TechSpot

Garmin HUD displays driving directions on your car's windshield

By Jos
Jul 8, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Smartphones have things pretty much covered when it comes to mobile mapping and turn by turn navigation -- most of the time it won’t even cost you a dime. Looking to stay relevant and competitive, GPS navigation companies like Garmin...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,085   +715

Cool! How's it work in the sunlight, and can I get a cross-hairs to display when I'm not using the navigation?

BlueDrake and SantistaUSA like this.
  3. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,865   +690

I'd prefer a HUD display on the outside of the windshield - maybe fancy 3D from dual projectors built into the washer jets assembly- and a quick toggle button on the dash for frequently required displays:
    " Hey grannie, turn off your indicator already"
    "Thanks for cutting me off a__hole"

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,975   +908

The one in my car is 10x as nice.

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,080   +747

So you're probably just like me then, you let the better half direct you from a map book. Yeah I have to agree, she's probably 10x as nice, and interactive to boot.:D

6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Very convenient but I'll just carry on using Google Maps from my blower. It's free & pretty darn good.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

That would be cool especially if you have twin machine guns that can pop out of your front bumper. You can blow away the chump in front of you who ticks you off.:mad: :D

8. thetimchannel

thetimchannel TS Rookie

There's no need for this product at night because there are apps that flip the screen on your cellphone so you can lay it on the dash and it'll reflect properly off the inside of the windshield. I do not know if there is a full fledged map application though, but I have something called HUDdisplay that does speedometer and compass that cost like a buck in the App Store. No reason that the display couldn't be what Garmin is doing if some smart developer wanted to make it (might already be one?). During the day all bets are off though, and Garmin may have something? I dunno. Seems awfully redundant once you've seen what a cell phone can do by itself. Enjoy.

9. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 863   +225

Reminds me of riding in my cousins 2002 Z06 Corvette with the on-screen display.

10. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 402   +35

I still cant believe all instrument panels haven't been replaced with this technology. It is far easier on the eyes and considerably less distracting to watch your speed and other important information in or near your line of sight with the road. To constantly look down at your instrument panel, changing focus and taking your eyes off the road needs to go away.

Now I'm hoping they have the special film that gets placed over the windshield otherwise it will probably be useless in the bright sunshine.

11. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,975   +908

What I mean by 10x as nice, is that my cars HUD's hardware is not visible. It is blended into the dash board.

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Heh heh I know. I was just teasing you;)

JC713 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.