TechSpot

Gateway Laptop Pseries

By Tammy
Nov 24, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a gateway laptop that I want to install windows xp pro on. I get it to boot and it gets to the point of being ready to install then I get a blue screen that is a stop screen. It keeps telling me disable BIOS shadowing. I have looked every where in the bios and do not see this. I want to be able to use this computer but so far nothing is working the way I want it to. Gateway will not help me because they say it is not in their scope of support.
    I have installed a second hard drive also and tried to boot to that drive and use it.
    But no luck.
    I know this may not get answered but if anyone can help me will you.
    Thank you
    Tammy

2. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 3,556

Read your manual on how to enter Bios and look for an entry that uses wording like 'xx is cacheable' with options to ' Enable Disable' and select Disable.

DO NOT change anything else.

edit: look at section 3.3.5 here (it is for Debian but explains what is going on);

http://www.debian.org/releases/slink/i386/ch-preparing.en.html

3. Tammy

Tammy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 41

thank you but it did not come with a manual, no recovery disks, nothing. It really upsets me the way Gateway allowed this computer to be put out. And I bought it at bestbuy.
    But will have a look at the article. There is no place in the BIOS that I can see or enter to change the settings.

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.