Geekbench and CPU-Z leaks indicate slight clock boost and good performance increase for...

Daniel Sims

Staff
In a nutshell: According to the most recent information, this year's upcoming 14th-generation Intel processors will be a refresh with a minor performance advantage over Raptor Lake. New images provide a clearer picture of how two Meteor Lake processors perform in the wild.

A fresh batch of leaks showcases early performance metrics for the Intel i5-14600K and i7-14700K, two of several CPUs the company plans to unveil this fall. The new screenshots confirm a slight clock speed increase for the i5 over its 13th-generation counterpart, which could result in a noticeable performance improvement.

Posts on Twitter and Geekbench confirm rumors suggesting the 14600K maintains the Raptor Lake i5's 12-core, 20-thread count. That information also indicated the other Meteor Lake CPUs would feature the same core counts as their predecessors except for the i7, which would jump to 20 cores – eight performance and 12 efficiency.

The new benchmarks also align with prior reports regarding the i5's maximum boost clock, 5.2GHz. One of the screenshots shows a CPU-Z window with a clock multiplier between eight and 55, suggesting the processor could reach 5.5GHz. The CPU-Z and Geekbench results pair the processor with Z790 motherboards, the latter running on a Windows 11 system with 32GB of DDR5 RAM.

The Geekbench 17,190 multi-core score compares quite favorably to the i5-13600K's 14,666 and shows a dramatic increase over the i5-12600K's 11,676, suggesting the new i5 could be a respectable mid-range CPU depending on the price.

Since Meteor Lake supports the same LGA 1700 socket as the prior two generations, it could provide an easy-but-not-insignificant performance uplift for Raptor Lake or Alder Lake users. BIOS updates are currently available from the major motherboard vendors.

Another screenshot displays an MSI BIOS showing an i7-14700K running at 6.3GHz with DDR4 RAM hitting 4.6GHz. However, it may be a conventional overclock, as prior rumors have the processor topping out at 5.4GHz.

Intel will likely showcase Meteor Lake at its Innovation 2023 on September 19 and 20 in San Jose, California. The processor lineup will probably launch in late October. Further out are the 15th-generation Arrow Lake CPUs, rumored to offer a more significant performance increase, albeit on a new socket. Recent information places their arrival in late 2024.

Permalink to story.

Well it technically has 25% more cores, so that will help MTing quite a bit along with the clock speed bump.

But have they finally implemented DLVR and lowered power consumption?

Intel there just tossing out more E cores to all the CPUs in the audience like they're Oprah. "...and you get more E-cores and you get more E cores...!"

By the time the 16 or 17th gen rolls around it'll be 6 P-cores and 64 E-cores. #1 in Geekbench and Cinebench Multi but huge latency and 60 idle cores almost all the time.

Well it technically has 25% more cores, so that will help MTing quite a bit along with the clock speed bump.

But have they finally implemented DLVR and lowered power consumption?
I think that's the big change with these refresh CPUs. It's what allowed them to crank up the boost clocks.

Intel there just tossing out more E cores to all the CPUs in the audience like they're Oprah. "...and you get more E-cores and you get more E cores...!"

By the time the 16 or 17th gen rolls around it'll be 6 P-cores and 64 E-cores. #1 in Geekbench and Cinebench Multi but huge latency and 60 idle cores almost all the time.
I guess I don't understand this complaint. FYI, I have a AMD 7700X, so no bias here. They are good at running lighter weight processes/threads with minimal power. Combine several of them they do a good job handling a vast majority of background tasks and other programs like web browsers. I am sure this is why Intel keeps including more E-cores. They are simpler, power efficient, and have shown to be very useful.

I just checked my Windows 11 task manager and their are 77 background processes, 213 processes, 3540 threads. The only 2 apps that I am running are Firefox and Task Manager. Most of those are doing nothing, but E-cores can easily handle all of that "stuff" (background, email, web browsing, media playback, GUI interactions, etc.) with zero impact on the more powerful (but less power efficient) P-cores (games, video/photo editing, CAD, code compiling, etc.).

I also realize that they seem to skew synthetic benchmarks that can utilize all of the cores vs. most real-world applications cannot. That does not make them bad, you just need to know what you are buying them for.

I guess I don't understand this complaint. FYI, I have a AMD 7700X, so no bias here. They are good at running lighter weight processes/threads with minimal power. Combine several of them they do a good job handling a vast majority of background tasks and other programs like web browsers. I am sure this is why Intel keeps including more E-cores. They are simpler, power efficient, and have shown to be very useful.

I just checked my Windows 11 task manager and their are 77 background processes, 213 processes, 3540 threads. The only 2 apps that I am running are Firefox and Task Manager. Most of those are doing nothing, but E-cores can easily handle all of that "stuff" (background, email, web browsing, media playback, GUI interactions, etc.) with zero impact on the more powerful (but less power efficient) P-cores (games, video/photo editing, CAD, code compiling, etc.).

I also realize that they seem to skew synthetic benchmarks that can utilize all of the cores vs. most real-world applications cannot. That does not make them bad, you just need to know what you are buying them for.
Problem is that E-cores are only for light tasks. They are useless for heavy lifting and there are so few of them. When E-cores have no use, you'd better have eight more powerful cores than six. Basically E-cores are only to make Intel looking better at benchmarks and getting bigger core count, since Intel just couldn't compete with power consumption.

It actually makes me wonder how stupid people are when buying "high end" CPU with only 8 good cores. No matter how much additional trash cores there are, considering CPU like 13900K to be high end makes me laugh. It may look good in synthetic benchmarks against 7950X3D but 16 cores vs 8 cores + some trash ones is really no competition.

In a nutshell: According to the most recent information, this year's upcoming 14th-generation Intel processors will be a refresh with a minor performance advantage over Raptor Lake. New images provide a clearer picture of how two Meteor Lake processors perform in the wild.

A fresh batch of leaks showcases early performance metrics for the Intel i5-14600K and i7-14700K, two of several CPUs the company plans to unveil this fall. The new screenshots confirm a slight clock speed increase for the i5 over its 13th-generation counterpart, which could result in a noticeable performance improvement.

Posts on Twitter and Geekbench confirm rumors suggesting the 14600K maintains the Raptor Lake i5's 12-core, 20-thread count. That information also indicated the other Meteor Lake CPUs would feature the same core counts as their predecessors except for the i7, which would jump to 20 cores – eight performance and 12 efficiency.

The new benchmarks also align with prior reports regarding the i5's maximum boost clock, 5.2GHz. One of the screenshots shows a CPU-Z window with a clock multiplier between eight and 55, suggesting the processor could reach 5.5GHz. The CPU-Z and Geekbench results pair the processor with Z790 motherboards, the latter running on a Windows 11 system with 32GB of DDR5 RAM.

The Geekbench 17,190 multi-core score compares quite favorably to the i5-13600K's 14,666 and shows a dramatic increase over the i5-12600K's 11,676, suggesting the new i5 could be a respectable mid-range CPU depending on the price.

Since Meteor Lake supports the same LGA 1700 socket as the prior two generations, it could provide an easy-but-not-insignificant performance uplift for Raptor Lake or Alder Lake users. BIOS updates are currently available from the major motherboard vendors.

Another screenshot displays an MSI BIOS showing an i7-14700K running at 6.3GHz with DDR4 RAM hitting 4.6GHz. However, it may be a conventional overclock, as prior rumors have the processor topping out at 5.4GHz.

Intel will likely showcase Meteor Lake at its Innovation 2023 on September 19 and 20 in San Jose, California. The processor lineup will probably launch in late October. Further out are the 15th-generation Arrow Lake CPUs, rumored to offer a more significant performance increase, albeit on a new socket. Recent information places their arrival in late 2024.

Permalink to story.

Hey,

I've been keeping an eye on the upcoming 14th-generation Intel processors, and it looks like they're going to offer a slight performance advantage over the Raptor Lake CPUs. The leaks reveal some exciting details about the i5-14600K and i7-14700K, and I must say, I'm intrigued.

It's good to see that the i5-14600K is getting a clock speed boost compared to its 13th-generation counterpart. That could definitely lead to a noticeable performance improvement, especially with the 5.2GHz maximum boost clock and the potential for it to reach 5.5GHz. The Geekbench scores are looking promising too, especially when compared to the i5-12600K and i5-13600K. This makes me think the new i5 could be a solid choice for mid-range users like me, depending on the price, of course.

What caught my attention is the compatibility of Meteor Lake with the same LGA 1700 socket as the previous generations. This could mean a straightforward upgrade for those of us using Raptor Lake or Alder Lake, which is always a plus. And it's good to know that BIOS updates are available from major motherboard vendors.

I'm also looking forward to Intel's Innovation 2023 event in September, where they'll likely showcase Meteor Lake. The late October launch date for the processor lineup is also something to mark on the calendar. Plus, the mention of the 15th-generation Arrow Lake CPUs on the horizon is definitely piquing my curiosity.

All in all, exciting times ahead for Intel processors, and I can't wait to see how these new CPUs perform in real-world scenarios.

Best regards,Talha

Right now Intel's top SKUs have 16 E-cores. Even with Windows bloat there's not *nearly* enough background task demand on those cores to saturate them so adding additional ones is doing 3 things:

Pumping up core counts for marketing
Multicore benchmark-padding (CB, GB, others)
Increasing latency

But what is Intel gonna do as all the AMD #950x CPUs have been playing a similar game since 2019 and Intel's P-core architecture can't keep up.

Right now Intel's top SKUs have 16 E-cores. Even with Windows bloat there's not *nearly* enough background task demand on those cores to saturate them so adding additional ones is doing 3 things:

Increasing latency

But what is Intel gonna do as all the AMD #950x CPUs have been playing a similar game since 2019 and Intel's P-core architecture can't keep up.
And let's not forget that before all of this E-Core bullsh*t, we had working AVX512 that Intel later had to cut out of their chips because the E-Cores didn't have it onboard. Once again, Intel is holding back the whole computing ecosystem because of their bumbling buffoonery.

Is it as hot as 13th gen though? My 13700 reaches 100c in benchmarks.

Increasing latency

maybe software developers can catchup to fully utilize all of those effecient cores eventually?

maybe software developers can catchup to fully utilize all of those effecient cores eventually?
Crap cores are not suitable for many tasks and basically using them in addition to P cores could cause more slowdown than speedup. That is, compared to strategy using only P cores.

So for your speculation, it won't probably ever happen. It is not even supposed to happen.

Crap cores are not suitable for many tasks and basically using them in addition to P cores could cause more slowdown than speedup. That is, compared to strategy using only P cores.

So for your speculation, it won't probably ever happen. It is not even supposed to happen.
Exactly. Instead of, oh... I don't know, going back to the drawing board to develop a new microarchitecture, they decided to nerf their cores in an effort to get power consumption under control. Newsflash, it failed.

Back