GeForce 306.02 WHQL drivers offer GTX 660 Ti support, new profiles

By Matthew
Aug 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Folks with the new GeForce GTX 660 Ti can now run the card with WHQL-certified software courtesy of a fresh driver released by Nvidia yesterday. GeForce 306.02 covers operating systems spanning from Windows XP through Windows 8 and carries various...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,235   +315

Man that Borderlands 2 looks fun as hell - can't wait! :D
  3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Thanks for these updates. The nvidia "check for updates" utility doesn't seem to notify for this.
  4. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 877   +94

So wait, did Borderlands just **** over everyone without a PhysX capable system. What I mean is, did they just create an engine that won't do any kind of physics without Nvidia hardware? There can't be no physics at all is what I trying to figure out here if I run it on AMD hardware.
  5. You have to understand borderlands 2 uses the Unreal Engine .. that supports Physx.

built into Physx API ..is level of details in physx.

on CPU level ..its minimal (and maybe even purposely dumbed down) .. on GPU .. level .. they go full out ..

if Borderlands 2 did not support GPU level phsyx .. it would look the same on AMD or NVIDIA ..

NVIDIA is usually very involved with the game developers to make sure the Engine is fully optimized for nvidia hardware ... this way they have an advantage in benchmarks when they reviews are written on new Graphics Cards ... (smart .. In My Opinion)
  6. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,705   +590

Spot on. UE3 has PhysX integration.
    Game Dev 101: Pay for the development, reap the reward. Not much difference from AMD working with Codemasters to tailor games like DiRT Showdown specifically for AMD's GCN architecture...both represent eye candy above the standard game I.q. level (physics and global illumination respectively).

I might add that not all physics engines are created equal. PhysX does cloth and volumetric smoke particularly well. It also does n-body and path prediction in a gravitational field better than most (if not all)- although I don't think the latter is applicable to Borderlands 2.

PhysX isn't an isolated case even in physics engines. Intel's Havok engine is being optimized for the AVX extention...older CPU's need not apply.
  7. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 340   +20

In a way, Nvidia investing more money on optimizing is a perk for consumers despite how some people feel about their business practices or what not.

It's not much different than how people feel about Intel.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.