TechSpot

GeForce 6600GT and LE?

By joseywales09
Mar 13, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey people,
    I called circuit city to see if my graphics card was in. And it was. :bounce: But it is not GeForce 6600GT its GeForce 6600LE what is the difference? thanks for the comments

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

The 6600LE is a bastardized version of the 6600GT. It has half the pipes and is much slower than the 6600GT. Not really worth the price at all if you are wanting to play any of today's newer games.

3. SOcRatEs

SOcRatEs TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,382

Price is the first difference I'm seeing on newegg,
    the gt is around $75 to $100 more.
    What brand and type (agp/pci-E) did you order and how much video ram?

4. joseywales09

joseywales09 Banned Topic Starter Posts: 95

I haven't ordered it yet. GeForce 6600LE AGP 4x/8x 256MB

5. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

A 6600le is even slower than a 6200(the non-turbocache, 128bit memory ones).
    A 6600le is a 4 pipe card at 300core 400mem, while a 6200 has 4 pipes also, but is 300core 500memory. Both cards can be found with higher than normal clock speeds though.

In other words, if you can afford a 6600gt, then get it, they're only like $125-135(usd) online anymore if you look around.
    For example, this one has a $20 rebate on it, which is a pretty good deal.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130220

6. joseywales09

Well I'm not ordering it off the internet. I have to go to my Circuit City. Do you think there may be an ATI there thats equivelent to the 6600GT because I think thats all that is available(6600LE)

7. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 TS Rookie Posts: 21

It's called "Limited Edition" for a reason, stay away from those cards.

8. joseywales09

Yah well I don't know what to do now. I guess im screwed....Is there any ATI cards that are equvilent to the 6600GT?

9. joseywales09

Just forget this thread guys. I found out that I have a 300W PSU anyways. And their is a store in my town that sells ATI cards. Do you know of any good ones that 300W would support?

10. joseywales09

Guys please help. I really need a new graphics card.

11. rickatnight11

rickatnight11 TS Rookie Posts: 21

I don't know much about ATI, sorry. I'm an nVidia man. I'd try googling "6600GT vs ATI" and see what their comparison card is. You could just get the card you want online for a better price.

www.tigerdirect.com - Good Deals
    www.zipzoomfly.com - Free 2nd Day shipping
    www.newegg.com - really good deals on gpus
    www.ecost.com - good deals and good shipping

Happy buying!

12. joseywales09

but 6600 doesnt support 300w psu though.

13. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Unfortunately it is not that easy. PSUs are tricky. You see, there is no real regulations set out for advertising how many watts a PSU is. There are some 300W psus out there that are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than some 400W psus for example.

It all depends on who made your 300w. Another good indicator is, how many watts does it put out on it's 12v rail? You can get this information by opening up your case, and looking at the sticker attached to the PSU itself.

Another factor is, how much other hardware do you have hooked up? Go here to calculate how many watts you actually NEED:

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

As for what ATI card to get, take a look at these graphs to give you an idea of how well the various cards perform against each other:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/05/vga_charts_vii/index.html

14. joseywales09

Hey thanks. I forgot what it the PSU was. But tomorrow im getting the card and I'll open it backup.

15. SOcRatEs

Which card did you settle on?

16. joseywales09

If the store has it im going to get the Radeon X800. Or the 9700.

17. joseywales09

Hey people,
    Went to the store and turns out they're a bunch of crooks. lol They had the card in a f'ing file cabinet with no case or any foil wrapping. He was like this is the..uh Radeon 9550. I said thanks anyways but im looking for a little more powerful one. He was like well whatever they'll cost you about 200 to 300 bucks. LOL It was sad how big of crooks they're all in such small towns. But hey I think im gonna get my GeForce 6600 off of newegg.com but do they require a credit card?

18. SOcRatEs

Was this at circuit city? If so you may want to write a letter to corp. headQtrs.
    Depends, I think you can do electric check just like a creditcard through paypal.
    we'll need to research it a bit. I think it uses a check just like a debit card.

19. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

In the past I've bought from newegg with personal checks(not sure if they do this any more, but I'd assume they still do), and with debit, as well as credit. All types have worked well for me, the only problem with the personal check is the order takes a lot longer to get, since they wait to get your check and make sure you have the funds before sending out your order.

More info.
    http://www.newegg.com/CustomerService/FAQDetail.asp?Module=2&Menu=detail167#xdetail167

20. joseywales09

Hey guys thanks. No it wasn't circuit city it was some shop called computer repair. It was pathetic.

21. truflip

truflip TS Rookie Posts: 590

I think only the 9800 Pro would almost evenly match against the 6600GT . also theres the X700 Pro and the X800.

Id still get the 6600GT. watch for it on newegg. I saw one that was on sale for 100$ + shipping. very cost effective video card.

I wouldnt buy from big box stores like circuit city anyway. They're video cards are way overpriced and they dont have that many selections (brands and models)

I have this fortron 450Watt: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

and im not sure if this is putting out 18A or 24A on the 12v rail =S

22. joseywales09

Hey guys I don't meen to rush but I need an answer quick. Should I get it in eVGA or ASUS? Thanks please respond.

23. truflip

truflip TS Rookie Posts: 590

eVGA - smaller company = more focused on individual customers. and they do mainly video cards so they concentrate on this field a lot = better customer service =]

24. SOcRatEs

I agree with truflip.......eVGA

25. joseywales09

guys thank u so much.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.