GeForce 9800GT

ThermoDonut

mobo: foxconn h-rs880 uatx with 1 PCIe (x16 graphics), and 3 PCIe (x1).
processor: AMD Athlon(TM) II 245 dual-core processor [2.9GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus]
ram: 4GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
power supply: 300 watts

1st question: with the 9800 gt, can this computer run games like crysis at medium-high settings with a decent res and no AA?
2nd question: i know i need a new power supply, but this HP guy i talked to said that my mobo can't handle power supplies exceeding 300 watts. is this guy wrong?

1st question: with the 9800 gt, can this computer run games like crysis at medium-high settings with a decent res and no AA?
Yes...over 45 fps on most levels depending on your definition of decent and

What didn't believe me? No need to make more threads, posting/editing your original post will do.
It's only been about an hour, more intelligent people than I will come along soon enough.

mobo: foxconn h-rs880 uatx with 1 PCIe (x16 graphics), and 3 PCIe (x1).
processor: AMD Athlon(TM) II 245 dual-core processor [2.9GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus]
ram: 4GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
power supply: 300 watts

2nd question: i know i need a new power supply, but this HP guy i talked to said that my mobo can't handle power supplies exceeding 300 watts. is this guy wrong?

Are you buying the 9800GT green edition?
To answer your question, you can play Crysis at 1280x1024 all high just fine.

I don't understand what the HP guy you talked to meant about the Motherboard not being able to handle power supplies over 300 watts. As long as you are using the proper connector, the motherboard is getting the proper voltage.

Was this someone actually employed at HP?

Was this someone actually employed at HP?

I could act surprised, but in reality the majority of those I've had the pleasure of dealing with at HP give me the distinct impression I know more than they do; not that I know much in comparison with those on here!

It is none-the-less shocking if the OP has been told that.

can you list the items you're buying?

so you're buying a evga 9800gt?
show us the items if you can , you know google search, link to them

i'm just buying a psu. i wrote down the psu kitty suggested and if i find it i'll buy it. i'm not ordering the psu online because i want to actually go to frys and find a psu that fits for sure.

i'm just buying a psu. i wrote down the psu kitty suggested and if i find it i'll buy it. i'm not ordering the psu online because i want to actually go to frys and find a psu that fits for sure.

smart choice. I don't buy certain stuff online myself , because if the item doesn't fit , i am in a world of trouble, don't have the patience to send stuff back lol.

Anyways, What EVGA 9800GT are you buying?

Because if you don't buy a green edition, your PSU needs to have a 6 pin connector

Thats silly all ATX powersupply will fit.

Because if you don't buy a green edition, your PSU needs to have a 6 pin connector
Thats just as silly.
EDIT: Just to clarify, as I didn't really understand the post below, 9880gt will only require one 6 pin, any powersupply strong enough for a 9800gt will have one.

Well i meant 2 6 pins, or whatever. What i was trying to say, he needs to look into the proper psu before he buys one, because he mention evga, well evga doesn't have any 9800gt green editions from what i gather, so the rest of them requires some connectors from the psu.

I had a 8800 GT SC ed. (EVGA) and I was able to play all the new videogames at 1680x1050 on high (including Crysis), but on DX9..still it was a great VC, until it broke 2 days after my warranty expired :(

Back