GeForce 9800GT

By ThermoDonut
Sep 13, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. mobo: foxconn h-rs880 uatx with 1 PCIe (x16 graphics), and 3 PCIe (x1).
    processor: AMD Athlon(TM) II 245 dual-core processor [2.9GHz, 2MB L2, up to 4000MHz bus]
    ram: 4GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
    power supply: 300 watts

1st question: with the 9800 gt, can this computer run games like crysis at medium-high settings with a decent res and no AA?
    2nd question: i know i need a new power supply, but this HP guy i talked to said that my mobo can't handle power supplies exceeding 300 watts. is this guy wrong?
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,317   +117

Yes...over 45 fps on most levels depending on your definition of decent and

What didn't believe me? No need to make more threads, posting/editing your original post will do.
    It's only been about an hour, more intelligent people than I will come along soon enough.
  3. ThermoDonut

ThermoDonut Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 16

well i sorta wanted some different opinions but i think i'll buy the power supply u suggested.
  4. hellokitty[hk]

5. ThermoDonut

k i was just being a bit impatient soz
  6. daz80

daz80 Newcomer, in training

it will run it but not very well. Depends on your monitors resolution too..
  7. Tha General

Tha General TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,225

Are you buying the 9800GT green edition?
    To answer your question, you can play Crysis at 1280x1024 all high just fine.
  8. Zilpha

Zilpha TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 349

I don't understand what the HP guy you talked to meant about the Motherboard not being able to handle power supplies over 300 watts. As long as you are using the proper connector, the motherboard is getting the proper voltage.

Was this someone actually employed at HP?
  9. Alster37

Alster37 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 324

to be honest medium is perfectly fine
  10. Tha General

I can play crysis at 1280x1024 all high just fine with my setup and his cpu is more powerful than mines, so he should be able to add AA with still decent fps.
  11. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

I could act surprised, but in reality the majority of those I've had the pleasure of dealing with at HP give me the distinct impression I know more than they do; not that I know much in comparison with those on here!

It is none-the-less shocking if the OP has been told that.

12. hellokitty[hk]

What you haven't talked to them yet?
    Haven't seen the threads questioning HP/Dell/emachines/ect advice?
  13. ThermoDonut

i'm not really sure what the green version is. does evga mean anything? and i'll be getting a 400 watt psu tomorrow at frys.
  14. hellokitty[hk]

Better be a good one.
  15. ThermoDonut

no worries i'm not looking for a super cheap one. if i find the one that u told me about, i'll buy it.
  16. Tha General

can you list the items you're buying?

so you're buying a evga 9800gt?
    show us the items if you can , you know google search, link to them
  17. ThermoDonut

i'm just buying a psu. i wrote down the psu kitty suggested and if i find it i'll buy it. i'm not ordering the psu online because i want to actually go to frys and find a psu that fits for sure.
  18. Tha General

smart choice. I don't buy certain stuff online myself , because if the item doesn't fit , i am in a world of trouble, don't have the patience to send stuff back lol.

Anyways, What EVGA 9800GT are you buying?

Because if you don't buy a green edition, your PSU needs to have a 6 pin connector

19. hellokitty[hk]

Thats silly all ATX powersupply will fit.

Thats just as silly.
    EDIT: Just to clarify, as I didn't really understand the post below, 9880gt will only require one 6 pin, any powersupply strong enough for a 9800gt will have one.
  20. Tha General

Well i meant 2 6 pins, or whatever. What i was trying to say, he needs to look into the proper psu before he buys one, because he mention evga, well evga doesn't have any 9800gt green editions from what i gather, so the rest of them requires some connectors from the psu.
  21. logiman

logiman Newcomer, in training

I had a 8800 GT SC ed. (EVGA) and I was able to play all the new videogames at 1680x1050 on high (including Crysis), but on DX9..still it was a great VC, until it broke 2 days after my warranty expired :(
  22. Tha General

YOU CAN try to contact evga and tell them what happen, they might be grateful enough to help you out.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.