GeForce GTX 1080 Ti arrives this week, let's unbox it ahead of the actual review

Julio Franco

Staff member

AMD bored us to death last week not because of Ryzen, of course, but on the graphics side of things after the anticipated Radeon Vega reveal was a no-show, so we were happy to see Nvidia didn't do the same, jumped the gun, and unveiled the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti.

What made this a worthwhile event however is that the GTX 1080 Ti is looking more impressive than a simple performance bump, with a spec sheet that gets it much closer to the monstrous Titan XP.

Based on the same core as the Titan Pascal, the new GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gets a weird 11GB of video memory, matching the shader processors of the Titan, getting slightly less ROPs, but a boost in clock frequency. On paper it looks very promising. Nvidia expects cards to become available as soon as next week for $699.

As part of the announcement, the standard GeForce GTX 1080 is getting a price cut down to $499.

Watch out for our full review of the new GeForce GTX 1080 Ti soon.

GTX 1080 Ti Titan XP GTX 1080
Suggested Price $699 $1200 $499
GPU GP102 GP102 GP104
Boost clock (MHz) 1600 1531 1733
ROP pixels/clock 88 96 64
Texels filtered/clock 224/224 224/224 160/160
Shader processors 3584 3584 2560
Memory interface width (bits) 352 384 256
Transistor count (billions) 12 12 7.2
RAM (GB) 11 12 8
RAM bandwidth (GB/s) 492 480 320
FP32 (TFLOPS) 11.5 11.0 8.9
TDP 250W 250W 180W

Permalink to story.

Told people last year Titan was a waste of money.

Time to save up some $$$.

I'm confused... how did they get 11GB of RAM and 352 bits? really weird numbers. it seems memory speed will be at ~11.18Gbps
unless the ROPs are the bottleneck, at 4K the 1080 Ti should be almost identical in performance (+- 5%) with factory OC models from OEMs being what people should look for.

Last edited:
Smart move on Nvidia's part. They knew Vega wasn't ready for prime time, so AMD's showing today would be weak (doubt specs/drivers/pricing are finalized.) Pascal is technically based on old architecture, the 750 Ti launched February 18, 2014, so 3 years ago, and much like Kaby Lake is basically the same architecture as Sandy Bridge, Pascal is just a tweaked Maxwell.

As of now the architecture is fine, but won't age well, so getting you're products out first is a must. Pascal will become the next Kepler 2 years from now when DX12 and Vulkan features are in full swing. I wouldn't recommend anything past a 1060 and that's if you're in dire need of an upgrade, as you'll need to upgrade again shortly after Volta launches early next year.

Not that AMD is really helping matters. Their Ryzen marketing was excellent. They showed early like for like comparisons and kept delivering more detail each time they brought it up. Vega has been the opposite. They've shown nothing at all.

At this point I'd suggest picking up an old GTX 970, 980, 980Ti for cheap (sub $200,) or a GTX 1060 6GB/RX 480 (also sub $200,) or keep what you have until Nvidia produces a fully DX12 capable GPU or Vega actually proves it's worth it.

Where's the Good specs like is it GDDRx or just GDDR like the 1070? plus 352 is kinda odd for the Bus..Wonder how they came up with that figure? .. Seems off boundry to me. When you going to be able to Review one?

they are just waiting for Vega to come out before they cut the price.

pretty much anywhere on Earth :D it's indeed a lot of money for a video card, very few can afford it.

We've had $700 cards for YEARS. Not sure why this time is any different.

So perhaps it will be the first mainstream card to be able to handle games on a single 5K monitor?

@Julio Franco

Please include such a test in your review...... Please!!!

We've had $700 cards for YEARS. Not sure why this time is any different.
I'm sorry but... why does that even matter? I don't remember anyone saying years ago: "Yeah, this isn't expensive"

So perhaps it will be the first mainstream card to be able to handle games on a single 5K monitor?

@Julio Franco

Please include such a test in your review...... Please!!!
If the Titan XP can't then the 1080 Ti will also not be able to do it. At 16:9 aspect ratio, 5K (5120 x 2880) is around 14.75 Mpx and 4K (3840 x 2160) is 8.3Mpx.

Last edited:
Where's the Good specs like is it GDDRx or just GDDR like the 1070? plus 352 is kinda odd for the Bus..Wonder how they came up with that figure? .. Seems off boundry to me. When you going to be able to Review one?
it's definitely GDDRX since it has higher bandwidth than the Titan XP even at 352 bits. I wrote in a comment above that it will have ~11.18Gbps. it's basically an Titan XP with higher clocks and slightly lower ROPs and memory size. it might be around 4-5% faster in situations where ROPs aren't the bottleneck. the missing 1GB of VRAM isn't important right now.
they most likely got GDDRX that works at higher clocks, although I have no idea why they put such an odd number "11" (a more mature manufacturing process and the usual improvements?).

At this point I'd suggest picking up an old GTX 970, 980, 980Ti for cheap (sub $200,) or a GTX 1060 6GB/RX 480 (also sub $200,) or keep what you have until Nvidia produces a fully DX12 capable GPU or Vega actually proves it's worth it.
giphy.gif

Told people last year Titan was a waste of money.

Time to save up some $$$.
You only woke up to that fact last year. I've been saying that since it's inception and I'll never stop. The next Titan will also be a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. They're for people who don't care about throwing good money after bad just as long as they can try to impress with their bragging.

I agree with the DX12/Vulkan statement, nvidia really needs Volta for the new APIs, but the problem is that the GTX 1060 3GB/RX 480 4GB are around 240-260$ where I live and the older Maxwell cards are either out of stock or very expensive (300$ for the GTX 970) so I can't buy them just as an "I'll wait for something better" type of purchase.

You only woke up to that fact last year. I've been saying that since it's inception and I'll never stop. The next Titan will also be a waste of money as far as I'm concerned. They're for people who don't care about throwing good money after bad just as long as they can try to impress with their bragging.

Always regarded it as a waste. Only ever mentioned it last year when people went nuts over the Pascal Titan, as if the 980ti never existed.

Always regarded it as a waste. Only ever mentioned it last year when people went nuts over the Pascal Titan, as if the 980ti never existed.
It's normal. Highest priced, high end parts always garner a lot of attention, and drools from the must haves and wanna haves. They aren't the volume sellers keeping the manufacturer rolling in dough though. They're more often than not very little more than chest beating gadgets.

Technically that depends on how the card is used.

Technically if you're buying it you know how to use it.

That is definitely up for debate.

In my situation, for example, I could buy it, but it would be wasted because a) my monitor only reaches maybe 75Hz@ 1600x900 resolution, b) I don't plan on buying VR (not until I'm actually forced to do so), & c) the most demanding games I have installed right now are Ashes of the Singularity, Fallout 4 & BF4 -- & of those, I almost never play the first 2, & tend to even play Halo: CE a lot more than BF4 -- & my current R9 380 has no trouble with any of those games.

So, for me, spending $700 -- almost as much as a new system build (CPU/Motherboard/RAM) with Skylake or Ryzen -- for a GPU that isn't going to provide me with any kind of meaningful performance upgrade that I'll even notice -- would show a monumental lack of good judgement, as I would essentially only be doing it for "bragging rights" ("Look at me! I have the fastest GPU ever in my PC, even though I can hear Wolfgang Rainier saying, 'The GPU, it does nothing' in my head!!").

Back