TechSpot

GeForce v295.73 boosts Skyrim performance up to 44.5%, tons more

By Matthew
Feb 21, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Thumbing its nose at AMD, Nvidia has announced a "game-changing" GeForce update with many "exclusive" improvements, including a substantial performance boost in Skyrim. Today's release expands on December's 290.53 beta…

Read the whole story

2. marinkvasina

marinkvasina TS Enthusiast Posts: 262   +9

I really want AMD to get better software aswell, i prefer them always have , always will even though my first gpu was an nvdia
    Nice to see that they care for software aswell as for hardware

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

Thanks Nvidia, I will give the ambient Occlusion a go, Currently playing through the orginal Mass Effect 1 & 2, we'll see if this impacts frames or not :)

4. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TS Evangelist Posts: 1,175   +176

Not sure Skyrim graphics performance improvements can be called "game changing" even if they are getting 60+% improvements. It can be played on very low hardware specs compared to some other new games such as BF3. If they can apply that same improvement to other games that really test hardware then that's a new ball game.

5. mikeusru

mikeusru TS Rookie Posts: 48

So do any of these new drivers improve anything for those of use who use older cards - such as the GTX 260? Do they just not advertise those results, or are they just trying to get me to buy their new cards by not supporting the older ones anymore?

6. adamantell

adamantell TS Rookie

lets hope i can load skyrim with the drivers..

7. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,946   +728

Initial observations...
    The driver fixes the memory leakage bug with hardware accelerated video playback (MPC-HC/VLC/WMP). Seems very stable and the expanded control panel options are very welcome.

8. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 462   +84

When are we getting SLI support for minecraft :p

9. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

What, no Old Republic love?

10. Welcome to Marketing 101 :)

11. Things like that are what I want to see when I see a new catalyst anounced, not 2-3% imprevoments, at most, when we are lucky.

12. Darth Shiv

40% improvement is another way of saying "We did a terrible job before and our previous drivers were rubbish" whereas 2-3% is "We've done some little bits of tweaking here and there".

13. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Oh, Mr. Read, what brings you around here today?

14. dividebyzero

Conversely it could say that driver optimization on a relatively new game adds substantially to frame rate increases. Then again, you could be right:

•Up to 70% performance improvement in Civilization V
    •Up to 49% performance improvement in Call of Duty: Black Ops

250% (up to) performance improvement in TessMark (OpenGL)

So if by your reckoning, Nvidia and AMD can't get the job done I presume you are using the mighty Intel graphics?

15. p3ngwin

p3ngwin TS Rookie Posts: 18

thanks for the confirmation about the previous memory-leak, that was really annoying.

will give these drivers a try-out.

16. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Of course Nvidia is the undisputed king of the arena, but what I didn't like is that some new drivers (even non-beta) actually degraded performance. That happened with the 270.xx release. My fps in all games plummeted, lowest being CS:S @ 29 fps. The 285 release solved the problem.
    And before anyone asks, I made sure it was due to the drivers. Because nothing else had been changed.
    Anyway I surely am going to give this a try.

17. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

I actually chuckled a little at "mighty." :D

18. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 87

Actually Nvidia always did a great job with drivers.

19. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

After my experience, I've come to hate all Intel products and love Nvidia GPUs and AMD CPUs.

20. Darth Shiv

No certainly not supporting Intel here... anyone who games knows that Intel solutions are relatively poor for graphics next to an AMD or NVIDIA solution. I'm just saying the drivers don't appear to be mature yet. You don't just magic up 40+% performance gain out of nowhere.

21. Capaill

Capaill TS Rookie Posts: 97   +15

Why do these updates take so long? The game has been out for 3 months and I've already put over 200 hours into it. I have finished almost every storyline and am now frankly bored with it. It was the same with the recent high-res texture pack that Bethesda released. Thanks but I've moved on.

22. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,524   +324

I like it taking a while, People like myself who wait for a game to drop to around £20-£30 get the better smoother graphics and most the bugs get sorted out when i eventually get round to buying it.

Thank you Bethesda and thank you Nvidia :)

23. dividebyzero

The "out of nowhere" is four months.
    If you'd bothered to read the release notes:
    GeForce Forceware 285.62 (last whql) launched 24 October, 2011 (note that this is before Skyrim's launch)
    Skyrim launched November 11, 2011

And, no, before you head off on a tangent. Nvidia like AMD measure performance gains from WHQL to WHQL driver release....and a second no, to anticipate the next tangent, Nvidia have in the interim launched 285.64, 285.79, 290.36, 290.53 and 295.51 beta's.

24. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

I had a feeling this was going to happen, with bf3 as well. But then again it usually happens whether I have that feeling or not. Does the refrigerator light really turn off
    ?!?!
    lol im jolly today

25. Darth Shiv

But that's my point. The *hardware* hasn't changed. Physically the card is the same as before. The software did change. So what they did in 4 months was they got more out of the hardware than they were getting previously. So the software was not previously near optimal - it was at least 40% off.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.