TechSpot

GeForce2 MX400 slow gameplay

By JerryMaguire
Apr 22, 2002
  1. Please Help (NVIDIA GeForce2 64mb MX/MX 400)

Today i've re-installed Win ME and ALL games seem to be slower. The graphics seem fine but the games are un-playable due to the fact the games are too slow.
    This happens with unreal tournament & soldier of fortune.
    I've tried installing the new drivers from nvidia but still slow.
    The hardware acceleration is on MAX.
    If it helps here is my computer info.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows ME (4.90, Build 3000)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    Processor: Intel x86 Family 15 Model 0 Stepping 7, 1400MHz
    Memory: 256MB RAM
    Page File: 42MB used, 1750MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 7.1 (4.07.01.3000)

Please, if anyone can help me i would appreciate it.

2. JAV

JAV TS Rookie Posts: 264

Hi JM,

Re-install? OEM config? If so, I'd suggest you go to 'Windows Update' & download the updates for your system. Get DirectX 8.1 while you're at it. :)

Also go to Intel & get the "Intel Application Accelerator" & the "Software Installation Utility" (1st) for it. There is also a program for the P4's, but since I don't have one ... All are designed to speed up drive(s)/processor data transfer. :cool:

I *think* Windows ME requires special drivers on some of the programs. Make sure you're getting ME compatible programs. You mention "slower". Slower than ... ? I've found the nVidia 23.11 Win9x-ME driver to work quite well w/my Win98SE. I believe it is available at www.3dguru.com , might try it after the 'updates' & the 'AA' from Intel. :grinthumb

HTH & let us know,

3. DogStar

DogStar TS Rookie Posts: 142

I recently reformatted and reinstalled ME as well.Ihad changed my vid card before the re-install. (from GF2mx 400 to GF4mx 440)
    After re-install I got only garbage on screen above 6 x 4 res. So went to MS update and got universal plug and play update.( damn the net looks ugly @ 6 x 4). Might help--might not.

And as JAV says get DX8.1

4. JerryMaguire

JerryMaguire TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you BOTH for your replies.
    I downloaded the full windows update package and downloaded "Intel Application Accelerator" & the "Software Installation Utility" and the games work perfectly.
    I can't thank you guys enough :)
    THANKS.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,691   +337

Hmmm..... wierd, usually updates help but going from unplayable to perfect is quite an update. Wonder what specifically fixed it?

6. JerryMaguire

JerryMaguire TS Rookie Topic Starter

When i bought the computer it already had ME installed along with various other software, so they probably had all the updates installed?
    Then i had to go and wipe all the important drivers off the hd
    :rolleyes:

7. JAV

JAV TS Rookie Posts: 264

Jerry,

Good deal! I'm glad I was able to help & it turned out to be as simple as it was. :grinthumb

Play time now. :cool:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.