Getting a New Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

I may be getting a new processor for a really good deal (clearance sale). I currently have a P4 2.26ghz. I was wondering if a Celeron 2.6 ghz is better or worse or the same. Just wanna know.

It's a Northwood socket478 533mhz fsb @ 2.26 ghz
The celeron is not a prescott but I don't know what it IS. . .
anyway, its a (something) socket 478 533mhz fsb @ 2.6ghz

same FSB speed but your giving up 512kb L2 cache ( northwood) for 256kb L2 cache ont he celeron ( if it is a celeron D) and overall your only gaining rough 400 mhz s core speed. to me it is pretty close, and I dont think I would really spend the money for the new processor with that narrow a margin in performance.

celeron or p4, if its a p4 then i would say yes, whoops i didnt notice you overcloked your p4, i dont think 300 mhz will make taht much a difference
you would go from 2.5 to 2.8 whcithc IMO isnt so much

It would be a celeron 2.6 or 2.8 ghz. I am buying because I want to make a second PC for my family cuz the family computer is a Pentium 2 450 mhz. The 2.26ghz p4 is in my computer. So the celeron just needs to be the tiniest bit better so that my computer will get a (however small) upgrade and the P4 will go into the family comp. . . or would it be better to put the 2.6 celeron in the family comp and leave the p4 in my comp?

do you game on the pc, if so a celeron is not for you, i would shoot for atlest a p4 2.8

i would put the celoron in the family pc and keep the p4 for your self :haha:

CPU Upgrade

In choosing a new CPU for your computer you must consider many things, not just the operating frequency even though that is a big part of the overall performance of a CPU. If they are the same socket you dont have to worry about the FSB because it is most likely going to be the same for each one. You should take in consideration the L1 and L2 cache. The faster the chaches the faster the CPU will be able to comunicate with the rest of you system. If the processor has at least 2.2ghz operating frequency that should be enough providing that the caches are up to speed. Unless you are going to upgrade to a CPU that is much faster than the one you already have its not worth spending the money, but since you are still using yours in another computer I would have to say that the P4 would be a better match for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back