Ghosting single drive over to RAID 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible to take a ghost image from a non-raid configuration and put the image back onto a RAID 0 setup without it screwing things up? One of our users has a single 250Gb HDD and is wanting to set up a RAID 0 configuration and we're hoping that we won't have to reload the OS so we were thinking about setting up 2 new HDD's under a RAID 0 and then ghosting his current HDD back onto the RAID setup but I'm not sure if Ghost will work this way. Will it some how only think that their is one HDD and not ghost all the data across the 2 drives? Any input would be helpful.

the existence of Raid should be transparent (ie not matter) whether striped or mirrored.

however, you need to understand that the size of target drive MUST match the source
drive; the partitions much match, otherwise, Ghost will resize the target and THAT will screw-up the raid real good!

Well from my experience with Ghost it doesn't seem to matter if the destination drive is larger or smaller just so long as there is enough space to put all the data. Every time I have used Ghost it will allow for full use of the HDD and put all the data backed up from let's say an even smaller one. I was just not sure if Ghost would transfer the data backed up onto the RAID properly or if it would just bypass the RAID controller and put the data only onto one HDD which would screw things up pretty bad.

should not be possible to bypass the RAID unless BIOS is modified

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back