Gigabyte issues BIOS update for fire-prone motherboards

By Matthew
Dec 27, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Overclocking isn't the game of Russian roulette it used to be. Component makers have embraced the practice by enhancing quality control, designing simple interfaces, implementing failsafes, expanding warranties and more.…

Read the whole story
  2. bexwhitt

bexwhitt TS Addict Posts: 289   +55

I don't have much sympathy for overclockers though as these boards are supposed to be "ultra durable" gigabyte probably share the blame
  3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +411

You don't have sympathy for overclockers? Um.. okay.

Now to something relevant... I'd avoid these boards like the plague until the next revision. For what you pay for X79 boards, this "fix" is NOT acceptable one bit.
  4. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Evangelist Posts: 990   +90

I love the smell of burnt silicon in the morning.
  5. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

I refuse to believe this
  6. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +411

This is just bad.

Gigabyte can go jump in a lake and stay there. Instead of giving you a replacement motherboard under a new revision with parts that aren't faulty, they want you to keep the faulty board and use a firmware that cripples your CPU overclocks. Gigabyte didn't learn anything from the Intel P67 SATA III fiasco... and that was said to take a couple years before those ports went kaput. Yay Intel, BOOO Gigabyte.
  7. I agree because of ignorant users like this. The Intel® 6 Series B2 Chipset recall was an Intel® issue and that was SATAII! Not Gigabyte’s fault and not SATAIII. Get your facts right if you are going to comment!