TechSpot

Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P fan headers question

By matchu
May 15, 2010
  1. Hellos. I'm looking into replacing the case fans on my Antec Nine Hundred, since they're extremely loud and obnoxious. I've looked into some thermalright fans that use 3pin headers and I have some questions about that

My motherboard (MA770T-UD3P) has 3 headers on it.

Sys_fan1 (GND / +12V speed control / Sense / Reserve)
    Sys_fan2 (GND / +12V speed control / Sense)
    Pwr_fan ((GND / +12V speed control / Sense)

So.... I am looking to getting *two* fans at least. They're 3-pin fans... and I'm not sure if I can plug them into any of these motherboard headers. As far as I can tell... they're all the same, but with different names and one with an extra pin that doesn't do anything =\

But I might be wrong.

If anyone could give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks :)

2. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,573   +9

There is no difference between all the 3 pin fan headers. Its more for monitoring purposes through software so you know which fan is spinning if you're into that kinda thing.

As for the 4 pin header, its for PWM controlled fans. You can still plug in a 3 pin fan into it, and it will work without a problem.

And while its not a problem here, you can plug a 4 pin fan into a 3 pin header. The only problem there is that the fan won't be PWM controlled.

3. matchu

matchu TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 111

Cool :) thanks for the info

Well, here's another related question then...

The case has 4 fans
    200mm x 82cfm x 23.6dB
    3 x 120mm x 39cfm x 25dB

If i replace the three 120mm fans with 3x this one
    http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=37770
    which runs at 15.8dB...

Will my case run a lot quieter?

Thanks!

4. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

Your machine will be as quite as the loudest fan, and BTW 25 db is a rather quiet fan.

5. CMH

Depends on who you talk to lol.

To me, anything over 21db is kinda loud, given the proximity of my case to where I sit.

personally, I think the noctua fans are superior to everything else, but getting quiet fans will be pointless if you've got a graphics card/PSU fan that screams, so check that out as well.

6. matchu

matchu TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 111

HIS Radeon 5850, Corsair TX750W, Phenom II X4 925

Those fans are usually pretty quiet. My case is close to where I sit, so i can hear the two front-mounted fans quite distinctly. Kind of annoying =(

7. CMH

hmm... high-end cards tend to be kinda loud.

But like you figured, positioning affects what you hear as well.

BTW, I use Noctua NF-S12B FLX for my case fan, and if their specs are anything to go by, they're about as quiet as you can get. I definitely can't hear mine over my GTX260.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.