TechSpot

Gigabyte shows X58 mobo with seven PCIe 2.0 x16 slots

By Matthew
May 13, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigabyte has launched a new motherboard that begs the question, who needs PCI slots anyway? Built around Intel's flagship X58 chipset, the GA-X58A-UD9 is home to seven PCIe 2.0 x16 slots, but not one PCI, PCIe x1 or any other expansion slot for that matter.

Read the whole story
  2. princeton

princeton TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,716

Can I have it?
  3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,334   +381

Wow... I mean just WOW.
  4. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,891   +354

lol, with those things, you could run crysis, MW2, and portal at the same time...
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

So what's the point of having 7 slots and only space for 4 cards? Also a lot of sounds cards are PCI or PCIe X1.

p.s. is that a FLOPPY DRIVE connector I see on this top of the range board?!
  6. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,052   +84 Staff Member

You can place PCIe x1 cards into x16 slots, and I reckon if someone is going to blow ~$400 on a motherboard, they probably wouldn't mind buying a new sound card if they currently have a PCI model. There are tons of PCIe sound cards around.
  7. cyrusjumpjet

cyrusjumpjet TechSpot Member Posts: 93

yeah, those headers on the bottom of the board look really accessible... ;p /sarcasm

impressive, if only just for the heck of it.
  8. This is old hat. EVGA and ASUS already have these boards out. Exact same config with the exception of the EVGA one which is slightly larger than the ASUS and this one. I have the ASUS one. Pretty neat but the dual NF200 chips get a little warm. Heat sink does a great job at keepin it cool though. I hear its the same with all versions.
  9. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,823   +660

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=816
    Not all cards are dual slot

Anyone who can benefit from GPGPU computation would be more than happy with the board layout - including the extra lanes afforded by the nF200 chips.
  10. Lurker101

Lurker101 TechSpot Addict Posts: 630   +122

Silly question time. How much heat would be generated by running four graphics cards in such close proximity?
  11. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,889   +85

Not silly at all, if you run enclosed tunnel cards that vent the hot air out of the back of the case it makes little difference. I you run cards that vent the hot air into the case you need to have good case ventilation, the trick is to get the heat away from the GPU heatsink and let the case fans carry it out. I run 4 GPU's in crossfire that vent inside the case and they top out in the the low 60'sC.

12. @red1776

Can I has your system when you're done with it next year?
  13. maestromasada

maestromasada Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

That!!!! That??? That's cool!!!
  14. I think a little bit of wee come out.
  15. sucks when the gigabyte MOBO takes a massive crash load and never powers up again .....
    what do ?
  16. BlindObject

BlindObject Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

Oh my gawd. I can only imagine how heavy this machine would be.
  17. Tomorrow_Rains

Tomorrow_Rains TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

LOOL!! Does this run Crysis?!?! if it does then i want it..
  18. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 715   +28

Its been a long time since I have seen a techie picture that made me want to touch myself..
  19. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,265   +41

And I paid 450 for 3 slots, I've been bamboozled.
  20. You can run a PCI-E 1x card in a PCI-E 8x or 16x. I have a 1x TV tuner card running in an 8x slot. I would have to lose my PCI soundblaster X-FI card though.
  21. with the onboard sound you dont really need a sound card anymore the quality coming from the onboard is more then acceptable
  22. Badfinger

Badfinger Newcomer, in training Posts: 160

I saw picture of this when I looked up: overkill
  23. kakarot27

kakarot27 Newcomer, in training Posts: 78

imagine a system with 4 5970S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats 8 gpus 8)
  24. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,494   +304

Well, it depends, if you have a good sound system (say a bose or B&W for example) the onboard sound isn't very good at all compared to a dedicated sound card, plus you may get a few frames extra in games as the sound proccessing gets moved directly to the sound card.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.