Gigabyte teases customizable, high-res UEFI for Haswell motherboards

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Intel isn’t the only company working hard to prepare new products for the next-generation Haswell platform. Gigabyte is working to revamp their UEFI on Haswell motherboards and judging from a teaser shot that recently found its way to Facebook, there will be a lot to love.

Some of the details in the screenshot have been blurred but that doesn’t really take much away from what we can gather from it. For starters, the resolution looks to have received a bump – perhaps all the way up to 1080p as evident by a detailed background image and a “Resolution” option in the bottom right of the screenshot.

As for the layout of the UEFI, the outer edges have been designed to show real-time stats without having to navigate through multiple sub-menus. Users will be able to monitor CPU, memory and system stats on-the-fly in addition to temperatures, fan speeds and voltages.

If that wasn’t enough, the firmware looks to be completely customizable as well. The teaser image shows a set of user options which we assume can be selected and added to a custom user tab – in this example, the custom tab has been labeled as “Performance.”

It’s good to see that Gigabyte is aiming to further develop the UEFI layout while at the same time, it’s hard to fathom that motherboard makers stuck with traditional BIOS layouts for so long considering how far along other PC-related technologies have come in recent years.

Permalink to story.

Awesome that seems like a pretty big improvement. I usually go with Gigabyte motherboards as well.

About time they made the bios screen resolution friendly. Just bring our the motherboards already stop teasing.

My BIOS still with the good ol' blue background and white text, this really makes me drool! ;)

Every one calls the CMOS ..BIOS .. when in fact .. BIOS is the software that boots first.. then gives you the option to enter the CMOS .. settings.

then you complete your POST ... and start the OS booting ..

that is how it was done up until Sandybrige ? .. when UEFI took place ?

any ways .. im old school!

I was relieved to see that there is an "F2 Classic Mode" choice. With the plethora of choices and settings, it can make an old-timer's head spin.

FWIW, although maybe not as sophisticated, the last three ASRock motherboards I used had a UEFI. The motherboards were for Intel socket 1155 and AMD socket AM3+.

I like the intro part about Intel working hard... did it ever? really? They are a monopoly now, they are just oozing in with the "new" products.

As for the new BIOS, that's nice. Stick a Web Browser in, and we are done - call it BI-OS! :)

I like the intro part about Intel working hard... did it ever? really? They are a monopoly now, they are just oozing in with the "new" products.

As for the new BIOS, that's nice. Stick a Web Browser in, and we are done - call it BI-OS! :)
I thought that's what a lot of the 'Quick Start'-like features were. Basic web browsers booting off flash.

Back