Gigabyte to surpass Asus in motherboard shipments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A report by DigiTimes suggests that Asus may be on the verge of losing its top position in the motherboard market -- a spot the company has held for quite some time. With its well-rounded feature-sets and aggressive pricing, Gigabyte has garnered much fanfare over the recent years. Industry sources say the company is now closing the gap with Asus in motherboard shipments.

Market watchers estimate that Gigabyte moved between 3.1 and 3.3 million units during the first two months of this year, seemingly tied with Asus, who shipped between 3.2 and 3.3 million motherboards. To maintain its lead, Asus will reportedly cut prices, which could trigger a price war. The company will also "reshuffle staff" in its motherboard business unit.

Asus declined to comment on market speculation, but said it would sell five million motherboards in the first quarter. Meanwhile, sources close to Gigabyte confirmed that the mentioned shipment estimates are close to the company's internal figures.

Permalink to story.

Lets hope it does trigger a price war ;-) Both of them make very good motherboards and i have been happy with ones from both.

I agree completely, having owned several components from them both over the years. Only ever had one problem with one of the asus motherboards, and it was repaired and returned to be very quickly.

Heh, Asus and Gigabyte and my favorites, all other brands looks and feels like total crap, from example, Biostar. ASrock and elitegroup

I used ASUS for years. But my most recent board is a Gigabyte and it smokes any ASUS I've ever had as far as BIOS and functionality. Unless something drastic happens, my next board will be a Gigabyte again.

I don't know how long Asus has held the top, but I bought my first Asus board just over 11 years ago (Asus A7V) and it was a great board, several years later I bought an Asus K8NE-Deluxe and it was decent. Then the next somewhat serious PC I built (2007ish?) I was no longer considering Asus just because 2 of my friends were having major issues with their pretty expensive - high end boards and from seeing posts on TS about people having issues with Asus boards. I bought a Gigabyte board (965P-DS3) instead of Asus and have been very pleased, I imagine my next system is going to be based around a Gigabyte board as well. Prices for them are lower than Asus, and I don't hear of near as many having problems with them compared to Asus. Asus will hold/regain its top spot if they'd quit charging a premium for boards that are rushed out the door with issues and are pickier than other boards about what RAM you use.

A price war would be welcome. Ever since the introduction of the Intel Core i7, i5, and i3 processors, reasonably priced motherboards with a decent feature set have been few and far between. I miss the good ol' days when $200 got you a top of the line mobo instead of a middle of the road model.

I hate to blow on anyone ,but of each of these board makers, I have had great service and quality in the past from gigabyte. But the Asus board I spent more and got a huge run a round when I was trying to get straight answers on drivers for Vista ,when Vista first came out. And thats being nice. Asus still is great company and I think your pretty safe with ether one of these guys. G is keeping up advancements in my o pion.

Congratulations to GIGABYTE. Both of these companies make very good boards. I had a hard time deciding which to buy for my last build. If they have an extremely competitive price war my next build could come sooner than I expected. ;-)

I also want to mention that I had a lot of problems with the boards from Asus.
Several computers I recomended have had compatibility problems especially with the RAM.
I know also some Asus laptops that where returned because of this kinds of problems.
Price war there will always be and it always has been, in my opinion, in the end it is the company that wins and not the customer.

I always bought mine from asus but i heard some good stuff about gigabyte... =) this just give more choice to get the best value ^_^

Both my computers run Gigabyte boards and I am very happy with them. Unless something drastic happens I will be buying Gigabyte in the future.

Ive built systems with Gigabyte boards but never owned one myself. When I purchase for myself I usually get the best mobo(oc features and highest clock yields) I can buy. Good to hear Gigabyte is catching up. I dont really like paying 400usd for a mobo so competition is welcome for sure.

hello...

in Mauritius ASUS is the lead motherboard with MSI & Gigabyte following quite close.

i won't be surprised though with this for Gigabyte proved to be a really good manufacturer. i've built a lot of PCs off of different mobos & can say that yes some are worth it.

cheers!

This is why numbers "speak". My feel was that Asus is the only motherboard. Another Brand? Exist? Nice to know that another competitor aim to the lead. Those are allways good news. This is the link between computers and economic management.

Gigabyte have done a fantastic job with there most recent boards. Just shows that if you make a better product people with come flocking. My latest x58 board choice was between Gigabyte and Asus and my choice of Gigabyte came down to better reviews and better overclocking/performance for that specific board.

The only thing i do not like about GIGABYTE is that they have their name printed HUGE on the heatsinks.

That's like buying a ford and complaining it has a ford badge on it. I guess that's why people still pay 200 dollars for Nike brand name shoes made for $10 in a swet shop. Its all about brand names. The reason Gigabyte is selling so well isn't because of there brand name it's because of there quality products which is the way it should be.

I've had good experience with both brands of motherboards. For my main PC build in fall 2008, i was leaning toward a Gigabyte board that had the same features as a comparable ASUS but was slightly cheaper, until newegg created a combo deal with the processor I wanted that made the total package $30 less than going with Gigabyte. But I have used Gigabyte in builds for other people, and have never had a problem.

ASUS mainboard high temperature is main concern. Hopefully ASUS can improve the new design. It is not fancy heat sink can win people heart but effectiveness and efficiency will give a better result. Secondly is features offered. The other features main draw back, i would say the epu engines. The graphic phase is not activated if you are not using ASUS GPU. I hope ASUS can be a bit generous to provide a solution. A more depth improvement for this area. Third, the Raid and AHCI driver must be extracted to floppy by using OS. Only expert can do if they want to activate AHCI or RAID after installation from SATA as IDE. Gigabyte will load the driver 1st if you set the SATA to AHCI with single HDD. Easier for normal User to setup OS. Future improvement is looking forward. Dual bios features from Gigabyte is a plus. The only MSI the admire me is the Dr mos. Dr mos is real power efficient. Hopefully ASUS can come up with new solution. The most satisfaction ASUS mainboard i use is P4P800SE. Hopefully, in future ASUS can build more features and maintain its finest quality products. As i said effectiveness and efficiency come 1st. Second, made us easy in OS installation.

I'm a asus fan, i hope they can turn it around... i'v heard and have had so many problems with gigabyte, few doa's and memory compatiliby issues.

I have always bought from either company. Whenever i need to build a computer for someone, or make my own, i will jump on the MSY website (The cheapest store here in aus) and compare boards from Asus and Gigabyte. From my experience both have been good quality, and i would always buy from either one. It's just a matter of price after that.

Good to knw gigabyte is taking over number one position. I primarily feel this because it seems like Asus is only making high end mbd considering gamers in mind. I mean these days the focus is only on gamers and not enthusiastics & extreme users who loves games & multimedia both along with good value for money price tag. I agree Asus has good new technologies like bluetooth indicators & others but whats the use as i m not willing to buy motherboard with plenty of PCIe 2.0 x16 when i am only going to use 1 graphics card. I want more PCIe x1 & more pci slots for installing 2 TV Tuners, 2 Soundcard & other old as well as new cards. Gigabyte has understood this and they made motherboard taking us in mind. They have all the connectivities incl USB3, SATA3 & dual lan is also important. What i would love to see is atleast 3PCI slot, 3 PCIe slots & WiFi, bluetooth incl in the motherboard which will also free my usb ports & other connectivity. I use only single high end graphics card so i dont need those fancy options of having more then one PCIe 2.0 as it is used only for the same. Lets see who understands users like me and build future model of motherboards. Ohh ya i forgot to mention along with this i want to see X-fi quality sound drivers and connectivity with seperate bracket in expansion slot. I am planning to see these features on LGA11xx mdb or mb. ThankGod finally i got a chance to say something which i always wanted to say to these motherboard manufactures.

this will surely lead to a price war! and the result will be that many good motherboards will be available for a cheap price! YIPPEE!
personally i feel both are awesome companies!
lets wait and watch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back