Gigabyte unveils two Aorus 4K HDMI 2.1 monitors for PC gaming and consoles

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Gigabyte is following up its Aorus FV43U gaming monitor with two more 4K displays offering HDMI 2.1 support. The new options include a 32-inch model designed for PC gamers and a massive 48-inch OLED monitor made with the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X in mind.

Gigabyte announced the FV43U back in April. Featuring a 4K resolution, HDMI 2.1, a built-in TV tuner, a 1ms response time, and DisplayHDR 1000 certification, the monitor proved so popular that Newegg completely sold out on the day of release.

Joining the 4K monitor family is the 32-inch Aorus FI32U that Gigabyte is positioning as the perfect display for PC gamers packing graphics cards like the RTX 3080 who want smooth 4K gaming. The company says it is currently the only 4K monitor coming to the market that combines HDMI 2.1 and SuperSpeed IPS up to 144Hz/1ms GTG.

The Aorus FI32U also boasts 10-bit color (8 bits + FRC), 90% coverage of the DCI-P3 gamut/123% sRGB, Vesa DisplayHDR400 certification, and an "audiophile sound" sound system that uses an embedded ESS Sabre chip.

You can also set your own RGB colors and cycles on the monitor using the RGB Fusion app, and it has a KVM feature for controlling multiple devices with one mouse/keyboard combo. Port-wise, there are two USB 3.0 and a USB type-C that can provide 5V/1.5A power, along with HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 1.4.

The FO48U, meanwhile, is "the world's first 48-inch gaming monitor featuring a premium OLED panel." Aimed at current-gen console owners, it boasts true 10-bit color, a 120Hz refresh rate, HDMI 2.1, DisplayPort 1.4, 98% DCI P3/130% sRGB, FreeSync Premium, and 1m GTG. It also has two USB 3.0 ports and USB Type-C and comes with "soundbar-caliber Space Audio to further immerse gamers in their favorite gaming worlds."

No word yet on pricing or availability for either model. The previous 43-inch Aorus FV43U is $1,099.99, so the 32-inch Aorus FI32U could be between $800 and $999, while the 48-inch FO48U will likely be over $1,200.

Permalink to story.

We've been hoping for a proper 4K 32" HDMI 2.1 monitor for ages, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one, because to have HDMI 2.1 and yet only the most basic HDR400 is underwhelming. Professional users and games alike want HDR1000 as the minimum at this point. Good TV-s these days, like LG ones, are capable of peak brightness of 2000 nits, that's what a top-notch panel should deliver today.

As far as the gaming market goes, Samsung is expected to storm the market this September, with the highly anticipated G9 Odyssey update, one with Mini-LED screen, and 2000 nits of peak brightness, along with the same 240Hz refresh rate. That should be interesting.

Last edited:
We've been hoping for a proper 4K 32" HDMI 2.1 monitor for ages, but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one, because to have HDMI 2.1 and yet only the most basic HDR400 is underwhelming. Professional users and games alike want HDR1000 as the minimum at this point. Good TV-s these days, like LG ones, are capable of peak brightness of 2000 nits, that's what a top-notch panel should deliver today.

As far as the gaming market goes, Samsung is expected to topple the market this September, with the highly anticipated G9 Odyssey update, one with Mini-LED screen, and 2000 nits of peak brightness, along with the same 240Hz refresh rate. That should be interesting.
Good news and good prices. Yes HDR is not perfect anyway.

Doesn't really matter how good HDR is on the actual monitor because the HDR implementation within Windows is (still) an absolute steaming pile of hot garbage...
While true for Windows 10, it seems Microsoft are touting it being much better on Windows 11, I might give it a test tonight and see if it really is any better or not.

On PS5 and Xbox Series X though, the HDR implementation is pretty good and usually the panel let's it down. HDR400 honestly shouldn't exist. How Gigabyte can charge £800 for such a crap screen is beyond me.

It feels like the world's gone crazy recently, £200 screen is now £800 because it has HDMI 2.1 on it ..

4K 144Hz is a waste for just a console.
Not the case anymore, PS5 and Xbox Series X have 120Hz mode and there are games using it, Call of Duty Warzone and Doom Eternal being examples.

They actually can reach 120fps most of the time as well and with VRR, you don't notice the framerate fluctuations either. VRR isn't enabled on the PS5 currently.

Doesn't really matter how good HDR is on the actual monitor because the HDR implementation within Windows is (still) an absolute steaming pile of hot garbage...
Why doesn't this matter? Windows native HDR support for desktop isn't that important. Games, as well as videos render HDR perfectly on my HDR monitor, even though Windows 10 thinks there is no HDR available. Frankly, I do not even care if Windows itself supports HDR, and I believe most users are in the same boat.

This is what Windows 10 thinks of my HDR monitor:

settings.png

And here's how wonderful HDR movies look on my monitor (with VLC):

movie.png

You may not be able to quite tell it (click on it) from the screenshot, but in person, I can see perfect rendering of every shade of grey.

In all, your statement is far from the truth.

P.S. If you want to test out how well HDR works on your monitor, 2018 movie The Hurricane Heist (above screenshot) has about the perfect HDR, as it was shot in native 4K HDR entirely.

Last edited:
Compilation of differences between this oled and the cx 48 inch oled selling as low as $1199 currently. Dolby atmos support in both streaming movies and soon gaming. Trueblack500 hdr vesa certification. Gsync compatible with a year of updates to some initial flaws of gama shift and raised blacks via patches and drivers while not perfect because of no gsync module still is being actively improved.
It also comes with apps via smart hub.

Too bad all their monitors only support 120hz at 4:2:0 @ 4k. if they were true hdmi 2.1, they would be able to support 4:4:4 at 120hz @ 4k.
I thought that was strange to market HDMI 2.1 with 2.0b specs or worse. Another difference vs the CX and C1.

Back