GM will offer its first electrified Corvette in 2023, likely an AWD hybrid

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Chevrolet is finally building an electrified version of its popular Corvette sports car, and the first model will be available as early as 2023. If we had to guess, the first electric Vette will likely be a hybrid that'll use an electric motor or two to power the front wheels while relying on the traditional gas-powered engine for the rear wheels.

On Monday, General Motors President Mark Reuss confirmed electrified Corvettes will be in addition to the new Z06 and other gas-powered variants coming.

Chevrolet shared a video on its YouTube channel showcasing an electrified, all-wheel drive Vette traversing a snow-covered course.

The C8 already has a reputation for being quick off the line. Add in AWD and it's easy to see how the Corvette could become even more ferocious from a dig.

A fully electric, Ultium-based Corvette is also in the works but no timeline for its arrival was provided. Reuss said details and names for the new electric Vettes will be shared at a later date.

The eighth-generation Corvette (C8) debuted in 2019 as the first mid-engine model in the car's storied history. A higher-performance version, the Z06, was announced late last year and is set to enter production this summer as a 2023 model. It'll feature a naturally aspirated 5.5L V8 making 670 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque with a redline of 8,600 RPM.

GM late last year said it aims to eliminate all tailpipe emissions from light-duty vehicles by 2035 and be carbon neutral by 2040.

Permalink to story.

"Electrified" is a marketing term that attempts to mask what this actually is. Please consider changing the headline to say "hybrid".

This has Gen X written all over it. It's for us that's not too keen on all electric, but know the world is headed in that direction. Going mid engine was the first step. I'm 43 and by the time the all electric model hits, I'll be going through my mid life crisis.

I actually think that the premium sports car "genre" is the perfect place for electric cars...

My main issues with electric are the scarcity of chargers and the length of time it takes to charge - necessitating a 2nd vehicle if you own one. Plus, they tend to cost more...

Well, pretty much anyone who owns a premium sports car will own a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) "regular" car for everyday use. Spending a few thousand extra for electric is hardly a concern when your car costs 6 figures - or 7...

Assuming that the engine still provides the same amount of power (or more), this is a win... now I just need to become a multi-millionaire so I can afford one.

I actually think that the premium sports car "genre" is the perfect place for electric cars...

My main issues with electric are the scarcity of chargers and the length of time it takes to charge - necessitating a 2nd vehicle if you own one. Plus, they tend to cost more...

Well, pretty much anyone who owns a premium sports car will own a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) "regular" car for everyday use. Spending a few thousand extra for electric is hardly a concern when your car costs 6 figures - or 7...

Assuming that the engine still provides the same amount of power (or more), this is a win... now I just need to become a multi-millionaire so I can afford one.
There are plenty of nice hybrid sports car, A favorite of mine is the new NSX. Could use a nice recession to bring the costs down, my employment is not linked to the economy so I'm pretty recession proof.

There are plenty of nice hybrid sports car, A favorite of mine is the new NSX. Could use a nice recession to bring the costs down, my employment is not linked to the economy so I'm pretty recession proof.
The Porsche Spyder 918 is the one I've been looking at.... friend of mine used to work for Porsche and had it for a week - I got to sit in the passenger seat for some driving...

If only I could afford the $850,000 USD pricetag...

I like the AWD part but not so much the hybrid aspect.

I like both parts, using electric motors to boost performance and give some pure electric range is great idea. Ideally use electric motors to drive the front wheels and give it say 30-40km pure EV range. But weight needs to be kept in check, don't want to end up with 1800kg Corvette.

I like both parts, using electric motors to boost performance and give some pure electric range is great idea. Ideally use electric motors to drive the front wheels and give it say 30-40km pure EV range. But weight needs to be kept in check, don't want to end up with 1800kg Corvette.
Electric motors don't belong in a Vette.

I can't wait to see this, but not for the reason most might expect.
A friend has a C8 (2020) and I can't see how they could find room for another battery cable, not to mention a Hybrid drive.

Back