Good Anti-Virus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryiam

What is a god anti-virus software? I currently have McAfee Security Center provided free from my cable internet provider. So any suggestions?

We have never been fond of McAfee or Symantec. They get good reviews in PC magazines, but not very often by technicians.

We like Kaspersky, AVG, Nod32, Computer Associates EZArmor, Avast, and TrendMicro

Yes but the new (and improved) Trend Internet Security and Kaspersky Internet Security, do slow computers down a bit.

Actually I'd like to know which which is the least resource hungry Antivirus (Antivirus on its own of course)

Ok let me change my question. So which is the best anti-virus software to get? And what is the best Firewall to get?

$ - Kaspersky or NOD32 (Eset)

Free - Avast and Anti-vir

Firewall - Online Armor free version or COMODO (which is free)

Avast is the bet by far! I have installed it and it just works away, no hastle, and has better protection than avg, just.
Comodo, is the best firewall too

I'll vote with some of the others on ESET Smart Security, works great and does it's job. Not free though.

For free versions - I am going to say Avira Antivir is the best on the latest detection rates and the least hungry for resources. Does not include antispyware or firewall.

For free Antispyware - Malwarebytes Anti-malware is on it's way to becoming the best free antispyware application ever, and obviously doesn't take any resources while not scanning (no active protection in the free version)

For free firewall - Comodo is the best as far as protection or detection rates, it has the built in HIPS - Defense+ which will detect problems based on an applications behavior not just a set of definitions. However, from my experiences, if you don't have great system resources I would not run Comodo as it will cause you to almost stall on Vista machines that don't have good resources. It also can be almost nagging at times, and will save up 100's of files for you to review. For experienced users with good system resources this is definitely the way to go.

Zone Alarm is best for people who don't like to configure or don't have a great performing system, it will use less resources and won't nag you as much, it is still one of the great free firewalls out there and is also Vista compatible.

Online armor and Sunbelt (used to be kerio) are also good free firewalls but are not vista compatible.

Links to mentioned programs:

Firewalls

Comodo <-Vista Compatible
Kerio
Online Armor
Zonealarm <-Vista Compatible

Anti-Virus
AVG 8 Free
Avast Free
Avira Free <- My recommendation

Anti-spyware
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
SUPERAntiSpyware

For free versions - I am going to say Avira Antivir

But how do you stop that annoying popup pic that fills the screen, when you do manual updates?

Sometimes there's ini files that you can add words to like nobanner, or something.
But I find this pic so annoying, I don't put Avira on users computers

kimsland said:
But how do you stop that annoying popup pic that fills the screen, when you do manual updates?

Only way I know of would be to get paid version. Avast has made some improvements but last I checked it was still slightly behind on the latest threats. I still stand behind my statement that it uses less resources and is best on latest threats

I found the answer
It's to do with AVNotify.exe and AVNotify.dll
But I can't post what to do with them (and it's not delete !) because I also went to Avira forum, and their support guy said it's illegal to remove (ie editing their program)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back