Good mid-range to high-end Intel LGA 1155 motherboard suggestions

M

MrBlkfx1

I'm buying a Intel I7-2600k for my main rig. I was wonder what would be a good board to house it and my 2 6950's 2gb. I do plan on overclocking .. So any board that will allow me to do so easier will be appreciated.

Would like to go no higher then 300$

Thanks in Advance.

The best board I've used thus far -a combination of stability, feature set, ease of use and overclock ability would be the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen 3. It features a PLX bridge chip which allows use of virtually all features concurrently ( the third PCIe x16 @ x4 isn't downgraded to x1 for instance if you use most/all of the SATA 6Gb/USB3.0 ports).
If you don't need a full-size board then the ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 at around $180 might make some appeal. Both these boards have no facility for video-out (no onboard HDMI, DP, DVI, D-Sub) - not a great concern for most people looking at Z68 boards.

Word of warning: Z77 boards are reportedly due for release on 8th April. While they will offer very little (if anything) over Z68 boards, it will mean that Z68 board prices will take a nosedive. My advice if you need a board right now and want to save some cash, would be to pick up a functional and well regarded cheap board such as the P8Z68-V/G3 (which still a very nice board) and maybe look to replace it with one of the top-end boards which will surely drop in price. It does mean that you would have the hassle of finding a buyer for a board, but on the plus side you may find yourself happy with the P8Z68-V.

You'll notice that all the selections are Asus based products. Asus -at least for Z68, seems to be putting out the best boards overall. Some other vendors are having QC problems. Gigabyte, which are normally my first choice in mobo making, have some infuriating reboot loop issues with some boards that still remains even with the latest BIOS updates.

Thanks for the recommendations! I knew the people of Techspot would help me out haha. Will probably go with the Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen 3.

Thanks again @dividebyzero

Back