TechSpot

Google building a tablet version of Chrome OS

By Emil
Apr 7, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Details in the source code reveal that Google is building a tablet version of Chrome OS. The search giant confirmed the news, but it wouldn't discuss timing details, saying simply that tablets are not a priority for the browser-based operating system.

Read the whole story

2. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,270   +91

Am I the only one that thinks they should have done THIS instead of building a Chrome OS netbook? I guess to me, a Chrome OS tablet is much more practical...

3. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Well there wasn't an iPad announced when they unveiled ChromeOS. The iPad changed the scenery for the future of computing and tablets.

4. Jurassic4096

Jurassic4096 Banned Posts: 155

No you're not.

I won't touch any Google device until there is one for smartphones, and one for tablets/netbooks. Android OS 1.5 and 1.6 phones are still out there. that blew my mind. fix that first. That is the only thing stopping me from going Android/Honeycomb. I won't buy one and wait. We've seen what good that's done in the past.

5. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,242   +95

I dont think you'll have to wait too long... if you can afford it, or root it.

6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 804   +26

You have to be connected to a network of some type to do ANYTHING on Chrome OS. And that right there, ladies and gentlemen, is why I refuse to use Chrome OS. I like being able to access my apps and media while not online. Split second boot time means nothing if you can't access anything off line.

7. This is a great read........im going to look more into this information i think that this would definitely be of some good.

http://itsme-android.blogspot.com/

8. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Evangelist Posts: 803   +88

I predict Chrome OS will eventually be eaten by Android, giving a real OS with a real browser on touch devices.

9. You're not the only one...I already have a netbook, and I don't use it anymore. If Google were to release a tablet running OS I'd scoop it - I'd even wait for it if it were coming out later this year. But since they're not, I'm getting an iPad. I don't need another netbook - in fact, the netbook is less practical than the tablet. Iwas nice to take notes on while I used it, but the tablet does everything and more, and it's more portable for every day use. I guess they didn't know ahead of time when they put the Chromebook into development that Apple was going to release a tablet, but...*shrug* it was weird for them to put out a netbook when the market is moving away from netbooks.

The cloud computing thing is a good idea (I'm connected to a network 99% of the time, and when I'm not, I'm typically not using my computer), but put it on a tablet.